Mass Coastal and Bay Colony Frequencies in New Bedford

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
On Tuesdays between 11am and 12 pm is the exchange between Mass Coastal Railroad ( 160.4250 Mhz ) and the Bay Colony Rail Road ( 160.3050 Mhz ) North of the New Bedford Rail Yard. The yard had been empty for some time because the MBTA commuter rail is coming in a few years from now. Ive Been monitoring (160.7250) for any testing activity but i'm only getting Old Colony Dispatch up around the Plymouth Middleboro Area. The Bay Colony run ( 160.3050) is from New Bedford West out to Dartmouth and Westport with Sheet Rock and Scrap steel cars . This is been pretty much a weekly run all summer.

I usually carry my Uniden Bearcat 125 hand held or the Baofeng UV5R to monitor
At home I'm Using the Bearcat 15 Crystal scanner for Rail and Harbor Ops.

Pete N1EXA

IMG_0102.JPGIMG_0101.JPGIMG_0104.JPG

Last edited:

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
GREAT train pics! I wish we had more rail activity where I live. About allI hear is AMTRAK dispatchers on 160.920 but nothing on other rail freqs.

iggywfd

Bob, thats not true, there is alot of activity on P&W in the Providence yard and the Seaview in Quonset. input those into your scanner and you will see. There is also a FB group dedicated to rail fanning for this area that posts activities of the these rail systems

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Bob, thats not true, there is alot of activity on P&W in the Providence yard and the Seaview in Quonset. input those into your scanner and you will see. There is also a FB group dedicated to rail fanning for this area that posts activities of the these rail systems
OK I will check out the FB page. I got the rail freqs from the RR database and some freqs from Scan NE website. But I have been scanning them and dont know why I only hear 160.920? I live only a few miles south west of Providence so I should be able to hear from there. Not sure about Quonset though. After checking the frequencies I have programmed I have these: PW: 160.65, 161.1, 161.325 & 160.89. AMTRAK: 160.92, 161.295, 160.515, and these UHF: EOT: 452.9375 and 457.9375. So I seem to be missing some others that may be more active here.

Last edited:

KEWB-N1EXA

GREAT train pics! I wish we had more rail activity where I live. About alI hear is AMTRAK dispatchers on 160.920 but nothing on other rail freqs.

Most of the train Talk in New Bedford is on Walkies or portable train radios. Don't see any antennas on the cabs. The only power house is the Dispatch on Mass Coastal on 160.4250 . The Canal Bridge and Trash train going through Wareham to the SEMASS Incinerator in Middleboro.

I checked the FCC license for 160.245 because its been quiet for some time. It Looks to be expired ! That was used in Bourne at the base
of the rail road bridge.

Maybe your not getting Quonset RI is because their running Low Power with Portables.

Pete N1EXA

ecps92

Also, doesn't Quonset run at night vs day??? or is that another RR Ops that is nights only

Most of the train Talk in New Bedford is on Walkies or portable train radios. Don't see any antennas on the cabs. The only power house is the Dispatch on Mass Coastal on 160.4250 . The Canal Bridge and Trash train going through Wareham to the SEMASS Incinerator in Middleboro.

I checked the FCC license for 160.245 because its been quiet for some time. It Looks to be expired ! That was used in Bourne at the base
of the rail road bridge.

Maybe your not getting Quonset RI is because their running Low Power with Portables.

Pete N1EXA

KEWB-N1EXA

Also, doesn't Quonset run at night vs day??? or is that another RR Ops that is nights only
Good Point !
The Same thing Might Happen here in New Bedford if Keolis ( MBTA) starts running a daytime route from Boston to New Bedford on one track
from Taunton on down to New Bedford. Bay Colony runs on their own rails and are not high speed so the frieght can be left on the side track
and picked up during the day. Ive seen some Sheet Rock cars or empty Scrape cars sit for a few days before their picked up.

Pete N1EXA

kb1kvd

Communications Roadmaster for a railroad
Premium Subscriber
That's a lease loco for Mass Coastal. Mass Coastal leased the locomotive to augment operations for their freight operations. LTEX is Larry Truck and Electric leasing company.

KEWB-N1EXA

On Tuesdays around 11am Bay Colony uses their CH-1 as they call it 160.3050 and the main which is the Mass Coastal 160.4250 when they
get up the New Bedford Switch.

Pete N1EXA

KEWB-N1EXA

The power does have radios. They have a few variations of radio antennas not just the firecrackers out there
Motorola Firecrackers pretty much stand out on the cab but the Sinclairs are harder to see.

Pete N1EXA

KEWB-N1EXA

The power does have radios. They have a few variations of radio antennas not just the firecrackers out there
Motorola Firecracker on Bay Colony 1705 ! Frequencies used are 160.3050 160.4250 for that day !

Peter N1EXA

Status
Not open for further replies.