Mass Pike Frequencies??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWH100

QRT
Hi guys, a little confused on the trunking frequencies for the Mass Pike, (new guy). I travel it ever day from Auburn to 128. I have no problem with the trunk ID's, I see them on RadioReference. But not sure which frequencies I would need to put in if I wanted to hear the Mass Pike. Any body know which ones I would need to put in ??

Thanks

Bill2k

I travel the pike quite a bit and don't hear much radio traffic either. The traffic I do hear for the pike is not included in their trunk system but on their low band system. Check out this page for more MSP frequencies. Check about half way down the page, you will see a few frequencies for the mass pike. Theres also another page which goes into much, much, more detail about the msp systems infrastructure. I'll try and find that and post it for you.

EDIT: Heres a link to the index of the above page. That guy has a plethora of information on MSP

Last edited:

AWH100

QRT
So Bill are you saying that they are using the old system more rather than the 800 trunked system ? If that's the case I'll have to put in the old freq in another group and see if I can hear anything. In the scanner Master book I just got I don't see any specific frequency to put in for the Mass Pike. I see "Troop A/H system(Boston/Metro west/North shore". it list 10-800 frequecies I wasn't sure if those are the correct ones for troop E Mass Pike? I'll look at the index page you gave me.

Bill2k

Yes, they use the old systems quite a bit. They also use their MDT's quite a bit which leaves the voice traffic down to a minimum. A lot of this I am guessing on since I have only heard any reference to pike on the old frequencies.

The radio traffic I hear pertaining to the pike occurs on 159.0300 and 159.1650. And I have not heard a lot on those channels. I have not listened to any of those "800" frequencies so there may be more traffic on those. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to program those in and see what they turn up. In fact, I'm gonna do that right now.

I do know for sure you won't hear any radio traffic for the pike on the statewide trunk system.

Bill2k

Here are the frequencies which I have found to specifically reference the mass pike which I found in the first link I gave you.

Freq; PL; Description;
159.3150 110.9 Mass Pike Ext. Ops
159.2250 88.5 Old Mass Pike Central Ops
159.2250 123 Old Mass Pike Cental Car to Car
159.1650 88.5 Mass Pike Cental Ops (Miles 25-85)
159.0300 162.2 Mass Pike East Ops (Miles 85-124)
159.0300 131.8 Mass Pike West Ops (Miles 0-25)
159.0300 141.3 Sumner and Callahan tunnel Ops
159.0300 123 Mass Pike Old East/West Car to Car

garys

Premium Subscriber
AWH100 said:
Hi guys, a little confused on the trunking frequencies for the Mass Pike, (new guy). I travel it ever day from Auburn to 128. I have no problem with the trunk ID's, I see them on RadioReference. But not sure which frequencies I would need to put in if I wanted to hear the Mass Pike. Any body know which ones I would need to put in ??
Thanks

You'll need to program in both the Troop C and Troop A/H trunk systems. You can go here, http://home.comcast.net/~garys2/scanguide/msp.htm for the frequencies. I have to update the Troop E information on that page, but this list,

159.03 141.3 Sumner and Callahan Tunnels
159.03 82.5 Ted Williams Tunnel
159.03 110.9 Turnpike Extension
159.03 162.2 Turnpike East
159.225 88.5 Central Ops
159.03 131.8 Turnpike West

came from a thread on www.scancapecod.us.

I seem to hear more traffic on the 800 system, but I'm more interested in the Extension, tunnels and Central Artery than points west.

Gary

AWH100

QRT
So If I progam in Troop C and Troop A/H trunk 800 numbers that should do it for the 800 numbers. I guessing troop C for the the middle of the state and A/H for the eastern part of the state, That should cover the Pike from Auburn to 128, correct? Then just put in my trunk ID numbers for the talkgroups I want to listen to. Programming the conventional frequencies for the Mass Pike is no problem. But this is the first time to trying to monitor the Pike on the trunking system. That's why I wasn't sure about which 800 frequencies to put into the scanner.

AWH100

garys

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you need to put in the frequencies for both trunk systems. I don't know what type of scanner you have, so I can't give you more specific advice. If it's a Uniden, you can use Control Channel only. If it's a 996, you can use the multi site feature. I don't have any idea about GRE scanners.

Gary

AWH100

QRT
I have a Uniden 396T, and using Butel software to program it. I don't know about the control channel only feature or even if I have it on the 396T. I'll have to check, I just bought the scanner last week, and my old scanner, a 760 XLT didn't have trunking. If I do have control channel only, please explain this.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The 396T has Control Channel only trunking. Start ARC396, create a new system. Select Motorola Type 2 Standard. Two new tabs will appear. One will say "Trunk System Parameters". Open that tab and you will see that "Control Channel Only" is selected by default. Under the "Trunk Frequencies" tab enter,

Go back to the "General Tab" and enter "MSP Troop C" in the "System Name" box.

After that, create groups and enter TG IDs.

Or, you could PM me with your email address and I'll send you some ARC396 files to get started.

Gary

AWH100

QRT
I think I'm all set Gary, I looked in the instruction manual and found out about it. I'll try it later tonight. That should make things easier. This scanner has so many features it's going to take awhile to know them all. If I didn't have the software to program the scanner, it would be a nightmare to put all of this info in by the keypad. The software makes all the difference in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.