Mass Railroad monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I believe that the EOT 457.9375 / HOT 452.9375 Devices only transmit every 70 seconds from what I was able to find when I Googled it. I confirmed that one time when My Wife and I went to Framingham (She is the real Railfan... go figure!) I'm into the Radio aspect of things.

60-70 seconds from the EOTD while in stand-by, or in other words, while there is no application or release occurring. If there is an application or release being made, or a sudden reduction in trainline pressure such as an emergency application, kicker, or a busted hose, it will be more frequent. As frequent as every 10 seconds. It will also be more frequent if the engineer activates the counter, which uses the EOT's GPS to measure distances in feet to allow the crew to know if they've cleared a given point (switches, sidings, tunnels, etc.) or spotted a point in the train correctly.

The HOTD is consistent at every 45-60 seconds to send packets to keep the EOT awake, maintain the link being armed, and validate data.

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Well, that really takes it a little bit further than the 72nd side posted!

On another note, I'm just wondering if there are any really good rail fanning places to visit in Massachusetts or either in New Hampshire Maine Rhode Island they're not too too far from the Boston area.

I know of Palmer mass, but that is a 2 Hour Dr. for me. Also I can go to Framingham, but the activity there is just so so, any other good places that anyone can think of I would appreciate!

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Well, that really takes it a little bit further than the 72nd side posted!

On another note, I'm just wondering if there are any really good rail fanning places to visit in Massachusetts or either in New Hampshire Maine Rhode Island they're not too too far from the Boston area.

I know of Palmer mass, but that is a 2 Hour Dr. for me. Also I can go to Framingham, but the activity there is just so so, any other good places that anyone can think of I would appreciate!

Really the closest decent place for freight should be Ayer, which is only about an hour from you.

tv0n

Theres a good parking lot at the side of the Framingham lot. I've watched some trains being built from the comfort of my car. Pretty convienient to get a very close, legal view of the yard!

Mikejo

Premium Subscriber
Yup! Go there (Framingham) already.

Like I had said, I know of Framingham, Palmer, and although I hadn't mentioned it, Ayer; but still there must be others perhaps north or south of Boston. Perhaps over the boarder in NH or RI?

Status
Not open for further replies.