Mass State Police B-PTL-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Good morning!
I'm very confused on why 3 different barracks use one talk group?
I live in the southern Berkshire County area, and I'm only interested in hearing B1, is this possible somehow?
Thanks

gordon115

Having more than one barracks on a "Patrol" talk group is common practice throughout the MSP system. Here in North Eastern MA A-Patrol-1 has Stations A-1 Andover, A-2 West Newbury, A-3 Concord and A-6 Danvers because their patrol areas border each other and units often have the need to communicate with units assigned to a neighboring barracks. A serious accident will have units from more than one barracks responding. Because of the size of the area covered and number of barracks using A-PTL-1 it is one of the busiest talk groups in the system.

If a major incident is tying up the talk-group it can be moved to a SOPS TG or A Patrol-3.

I'm not aware of a means to monitor only one of the users of a TG.

Gordon

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Ok that makes sense. But I still wish I could listen to just B1. Maybe somebody else has found a way?

ecps92

There is No Way to limit your reception to a specific barracks.

the TG's are/were created to spread the traffic out for the Dispatch/Barracks
Most are based on a North/South mapping - across the entire State for each Troop (A, B, C and D) this does not apply to Troops E and F

Ok that makes sense. But I still wish I could listen to just B1. Maybe somebody else has found a way?

garys

Premium Subscriber
As gordon115 points out, it's done that way for a reason. That's also why there is considerable overlap across Zones as well. In eastern MA, it's not uncommon at all for a unit from one troop to be sent to assist in a contiguous troop for a major incident.

After the shooting incident in Braintree last night, it's likely that units from D Troop were sent north to assist the H Troop units that responded.

In Boston itself, an accident on the edges of Troop E's territory could get H or even an A troop unit. During the Big Dig I responded to a roll over fatality on I-93 on the Boston/Somerville line. There were cruisers from A, H, and E Troop on scene.

After all, it says "STATE POLICE" on the cruisers.

KB1UAM

There is an exception to the rule. MSP Dartmouth has its own Talkgroup. D Patrol 2 34000 is only used by the Dartmouth Barracks. I like that setup. I think MSP Dartmouth is the only barracks that has its own dispatch Talkgroup.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Not sure but you might be able to listen to just the B1 Dispatchers but you would miss every other transmission. That would be by entering the RID info in like I-CALL/Private call.
So you would program like a talkgroup but use the decimal before the number and use the radio ID of the console. For example, if the dispatcher consoles used RIDs 65001, 65002, and 65003, you might enter them in as:
B1 Console 1 i65001
B1 Console 2 i65002
B1 Console 3 i65003
I don't know that it will work but it should. These are not B1's IDs, you will have to monitor the TRS with a scanner that can display them to determine what to enter. You will need to put them in a separate Group than the Troop TGIDs so you can scan only the IDs. Can't hurt to try it.

chris

ecps92

I was thinking of suggesting that as well, but the downfall is
a. You miss the Troopers Calling in or Answering the Call
b. You miss if the base is swapped out as the RID is not tied to the controller like it is at a HQ Dispatch Center, so the radio ID could change out
c. You miss out when BHQ passes along information to B1

YMMV tho, experiment
Not sure but you might be able to listen to just the B1 Dispatchers but you would miss every other transmission. That would be by entering the RID info in like I-CALL/Private call.
So you would program like a talkgroup but use the decimal before the number and use the radio ID of the console. For example, if the dispatcher consoles used RIDs 65001, 65002, and 65003, you might enter them in as:
B1 Console 1 i65001
B1 Console 2 i65002
B1 Console 3 i65003
I don't know that it will work but it should. These are not B1's IDs, you will have to monitor the TRS with a scanner that can display them to determine what to enter. You will need to put them in a separate Group than the Troop TGIDs so you can scan only the IDs. Can't hurt to try it.

chris

gordon115

Watching zone 5 on Unitrunker it appears that some troopers may use their portables when assigned to the desk. When the barracks talks on the radio it's not always one of the console radio ID's that's showing on UT. Unsure to what extent this may happen in B Troop.

Gordon

B1 Console 1 i65001
B1 Console 2 i65002
B1 Console 3 i65003

chris

RKG

B1 Console 1 i65001
B1 Console 2 i65002
B1 Console 3 i65003

chris

The assumption of the foregoing suggestion is that if the Trooper's radio sends a talkgroup channel grant request ISW, which results in a talkgroup channel grant OSW, a scanner users receiver programmed to follow a private call channel grant OSW would follow to the assigned voice channel. I would be surprised if that assumption is correct.

On the other hand, I seem to recall that the PSR-500/-600 receivers can be programmed via Don Starr's WIN500 software to emit a beep if it detects a specified UserID. If my recollection is correct, the OP could use this feature, not to mute non-B1 traffic, but to be alerted to traffic in which a B1 "dispatcher" is involved.

The problem with this whole approach is that, as Bill and Gordon observe, Troopers assigned to desk duty do not access the system via a console port, but rather as a subscriber, which means that as often as not, the desk Trooper is using his personal radio, which will show his personal RID versus the RID assigned to the station's control station.

QRFactual

LEO Member
There is also this, listed under MSP Conventional. I can pick them up from here in Northampton

851.17500 WQAF218 RM 141.3 PL MSP B1 Lee Troop B1 (Lee) - Operations FM Law Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.