Mass State Police Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
Good Morning,

I'm wondering if there is a possibility of being able to listen To Mass State Police in Connecticut. I'm located in Wethersfield CT. I have a BCD996P2 with an antenna in the attic. If i were to Program them in what sites would be best? Also what Talkgroups would you guys recommend?

cg

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest a control channel only search from 851-861 and see what it stops on.
Analog Troop B (Western MA) would be Site 18 for Mt Tom, Holyoke. Digital Troop B South Simulcast would be Site 25

chris

mrsvensven

It's still worth trying, but I highly doubt the digital would work out of state. Frequencies between 851-854MHz are subject to restrictions preventing the signal from leaving the intended coverage area, so those systems transmit with lower power and/or directional antennas.

XPS720

Premium Subscriber
I live in NE of CT and I hear Central MA on DEPT. The most active frequencies is 854.1875 and 856.2375. Put your scanner on Full database scan. When you see Massachusetts State Police do a SYSTEM hold. In your area you should be able to pick them up. Make sure your scanner is set for 50 mile range. I use my SDS200 on Mass ST Police and I hear Troupe A, B,C, and H. What scanner do you use?

Good luck

matt04

Premium Subscriber
I haven’t listened in a while however I would try for the following:

I have picked up Site 18/Mt Tom on the SmartZone system on 91 as far south as the East Windsor area using stock ruby duck antenna in my car. That should get you MSP troop B and C. In the hill towns of troop B they still seem to use low band frequently.

The P25 system seems to be lower power or using more directional antennas. I can still pick up site 25/South Simulcast just not as strong. Transmits from Mt Tom, Springfield as well as a few others.

LD723

Most of B Troop is on CoMIRS and some of C Troop. Not sure what we are all going to do when they go encrypted!
Who said they're going encrypted? Not saying it will never happen, but I'm pretty sure encryption options are add ons and costs money I may be wrong but that's what I've heard about this specific system. Especially for municipal departments going on to the system, it costs more for add ons like encryption. Local politicians and citizens are already keeping police depts. in check because of recent events and now have these Bill's and such coming up which is interesting. If they had plans on going full encrypted they would have already done it for users that already migrated on to this system. Alright back on topic about being able to receive the p25 sites, the south simulcast is pretty spotty which is why I believe the fill in wilbraham site exists for users in my area that has a spotty simulcast signal. The wilbraham site does not use any lsm as of yet. That specific site though doesn't have as much traffic usually because a user has to affiliate with that site in order for a receiver to have a talkgroup to come through.

Last edited:

LD723

I heard (from a very reliable source) that they are leaning towards encryption
MSP is leaning towards it? Welp I wonder if they're going to get scrutiny from it like many other things that have occurred within the dept. but oh well. Maybe not full time but idk let me know otherwise if it's full time

Mudhog13

I personally would like it to be encrypted on all SOPS channels and other channels (like narcotics & gang) that should be secure anyway and the public should not be allowed to listen to that... But the other channel's (A, H, D, B, F main channels) I don't see a problem with leaving those unsecure. But they may go everything encrypted because the system is already setup to do that. What are we going to listen to then... Because if locals move to the CoMIRS system. They to could go encrypted.

LD723

I personally would like it to be encrypted on all SOPS channels and other channels (like narcotics & gang) that should be secure anyway and the public should not be allowed to listen to that... But the other channel's (A, H, D, B, F main channels) I don't see a problem with leaving those unsecure. But they may go everything encrypted because the system is already setup to do that.
If it's already setup should B troop have already been encrypted? I don't find the point of encrypting later unless they are waiting for the full build out but if interoperability is needed they still have the crappy moto type ii systems in service to communicate with the older analog radios lots in the east still have lol

Mudhog13

They can turn it on when it's complete... Has anyone heard any gang or narcotics on the CoMIRS that is not being simulcasted within Troop B?

LD723

They can turn it on when it's complete... Has anyone heard any gang or narcotics on the CoMIRS that is not being simulcasted within Troop B?
I haven't myself and I listen multiple times a day. I guess there hasn't been any operations in some time. I believe they may use voip stuff sometimes during those operations but recently haven't heard anything or seen any tg pop up besides SOPS during those protests

LD723

Hmmm... Wonder if they already went encrypted within those channels?
I would've seen it logged on sdrtrunk since every talkgroup that comes through I'll hear regardless if I have those talkgroups in or not and if it is encrypted it'll pop up as encrypted group call just like the radio technician talkgroups that pop up encrypted with ADP

LD723

Good point... You would have heard the garbled transmission...
I guess we'll tell once time passes. On a good note I've seen departments only a few though around the country reverse their encryption decisions. The MSP units sounded more louder and clearer on sdrtrunk compared to Ct state police when they were still phase 1. I wonder how clearer it will sound once ma staties go phase 2. I haven't ever understood if newer P25 radios with AMBE+2 codec use that same codec on phase 1 mode since p25 phase 1 decoders usually use IMBE I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.