Mass State Police Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

LD723

Good news! Just found out today that MSP will not be going Encrypted on the regular channels. They might be on the Narcotics, Gang and other SOPS channels... Waiting for the word!
Ah just like CT's statewide system perfect

FFPara1

I'm not sure if this would be the correct thread to post in. If not, if someone could direct me to the proper thread that would be much appreciated. I am from Connecticut and am very familiar with my states trunked system (CLMRN) I however would like to start monitoring mass state police due to my constant travels between CT and Mendon Massachusetts. My direction of travel is I84 East to the Mass Pike to RT-122 and so forth. What troops should I have in my scanner and which towers do I need programmed. This unit will be mounted in my vehicle. Any input is greatly appreciated!

jonsmth

I'm not sure if this would be the correct thread to post in. If not, if someone could direct me to the proper thread that would be much appreciated. I am from Connecticut and am very familiar with my states trunked system (CLMRN) I however would like to start monitoring mass state police due to my constant travels between CT and Mendon Massachusetts. My direction of travel is I84 East to the Mass Pike to RT-122 and so forth. What troops should I have in my scanner and which towers do I need programmed. This unit will be mounted in my vehicle. Any input is greatly appreciated!
If you click on the "Database" button on the RR home page, then put your cursor over Massachusetts on the map and click, On the page displayed, click on the "Trunked Systems" button. In the list of trunked systems that will display, look for "Massachusetts State Police". Click on it. Site 008 "Central Massachusetts" on the list of sites looks like it would adequately cover the area you're describing. Also, if you go to the "Forums" section and scroll down until you find "Massachusetts Radio Discussion Forum", one of, it not the first, posts is "Massachusetts State Police Trunked System".

wscranston

If you are just sticking around Worcester, then you just need:

and the Central MA site:

The Troop C talkgroups are for that area, but Troops A and H also show up on the Central MA site sometimes, so you might want to include them as well.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'd put in all of the Troop C talk groups along with Zone 8 frequencies. If you're down that way a lot, it would make sense to put in H Patrol as well. Mendon is right on the edge of Norfolk County and that area is patrolled by Troop H. Troop H goes as far as the Mendon/Bellingham line, so it's not far from where you'll be going.

pferr123

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post in, if not I apologize in advance and if you can direct me to the correct forum I would appreciate it. I am located right outside of Boston. I have a TRX1 scanner and recently programmed it using the software Whistler TRX1 Handheld Digital Scanner Programming System-CDAT. I used the software to import the Mass State Police trunked system. On RR I see the page for Commonwealth of Massachusetts Interoperable Radio System (CoMIRS), however when I search for it thru my software's library import feature I can't find it. I usually only listen to Troop A and Troop H. I previously had a Pro668 that I used the EZscan software with and I was able to find and import the Commonwealth of Mass system, but that was years ago and it wasn't used much. What will I be missing if I cannot program CoMIRS? I tried to manually enter the system, site frequencies and talk groups into the software but It must not have worked because I heard nothing. My old scanner was great, it picked up everything, even things I didn't want to listen to like Gang and Narc. On this new scanner I haven't heard anything like that and some channels just sound garbled. I just wanted to know if the Mass State Police are now using CoMIRS (even though I'm hearing them on the MSP motorolla system) and if so how can I program it. Thank you in advance!

Mudhog13

Massachusetts State Police Troop A is still on the Motorola Type II Smartzone, unfortunately! They won't be going to the new COMIRS System for awhile... But use the link below to get to the right area for this...

Put all of the frequencies from Zone 5 into your scanner. Particularly 854.5625mhz...

Band Plan is:
Base Frequency 851.0250mhz
Offset 440
Spacing 25.000khz

Then program your TGID:
Aptl-1 33168 - A1, A2, A3, A6
Aptl-2 33200 - A4, A5

wscranston

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post in, if not I apologize in advance and if you can direct me to the correct forum I would appreciate it. I am located right outside of Boston. I have a TRX1 scanner and recently programmed it using the software Whistler TRX1 Handheld Digital Scanner Programming System-CDAT. I used the software to import the Mass State Police trunked system. On RR I see the page for Commonwealth of Massachusetts Interoperable Radio System (CoMIRS), however when I search for it thru my software's library import feature I can't find it. I usually only listen to Troop A and Troop H. I previously had a Pro668 that I used the EZscan software with and I was able to find and import the Commonwealth of Mass system, but that was years ago and it wasn't used much. What will I be missing if I cannot program CoMIRS? I tried to manually enter the system, site frequencies and talk groups into the software but It must not have worked because I heard nothing. My old scanner was great, it picked up everything, even things I didn't want to listen to like Gang and Narc. On this new scanner I haven't heard anything like that and some channels just sound garbled. I just wanted to know if the Mass State Police are now using CoMIRS (even though I'm hearing them on the MSP motorolla system) and if so how can I program it. Thank you in advance!
Troops A & H (and C & D) are still on the analog system. The only thing I hear on the CoMIRS system is Massport when I'm down around Logan.

The GANG units are fun - sometimes sounds like a couple of guys shooting the bull in a bar.

pferr123

Troops A & H (and C & D) are still on the analog system. The only thing I hear on the CoMIRS system is Massport when I'm down around Logan.

The GANG units are fun - sometimes sounds like a couple of guys shooting the bull in a bar.

Is SOPS still on analog as well? And I haven't heard any of the Gang units come up on the new scanner at all. Is that just me and my scanner or did they go encrypted

pferr123

Massachusetts State Police Troop A is still on the Motorola Type II Smartzone, unfortunately! They won't be going to the new COMIRS System for awhile... But use the link below to get to the right area for this...

Put all of the frequencies from Zone 5 into your scanner. Particularly 854.5625mhz...

Band Plan is:
Base Frequency 851.0250mhz
Offset 440
Spacing 25.000khz

Then program your TGID:
Aptl-1 33168 - A1, A2, A3, A6
Aptl-2 33200 - A4, A5

Thank you! I can't remember what thread I was reading that talked about tweaking different settings if you are missing parts of tranmissions or if things sound garbled. At times i pick up a transmission but i lose it before they finish talking or I hear the first word and its gone. It seems to happen more with conventional frequencies. In the programming software there's the setting for Data Decode Thresholds for trunked systems and I saw a video that said to change the defaults from Low:75 High:95 to Low:15 High:95. I did that. Would that be causing these issues? Don't really know what Data Decode means.
Also, in the advanced feautures there's the feature for Advanced DSP Settings. Right now my settings are DSP level adapt: 64, ADC gain: +0db, DAC gain: -4db. I'm pretty sure the DAC gain was changed and that is not the default. Could this is causing my issues with trasmissions?

wscranston

Is SOPS still on analog as well? And I haven't heard any of the Gang units come up on the new scanner at all. Is that just me and my scanner or did they go encrypted
I still pick up SOPS on the analog system. There is no encryption on the analog system, so you should be able to get the Troop A GANG units - make sure you have the TGID's programmed in.

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
I still pick up SOPS on the analog system. There is no encryption on the analog system, so you should be able to get the Troop A GANG units - make sure you have the TGID's programmed in.
Ive been catching the MSP units on 42.46 lo band around here in New Bedford at night so don't rule that out either.
who needs encryption if nobody listens !

ecps92

SOPS is both.
Depends on if you are listing to the Analog Zones/Sites
or the P25 Zones/Sites

For Troops A/H and D you want to program for
which are "98.999%" Analog, altho you "MAY" stumbled on an analog TG passing P25 Audio [Rare but YMMV]

And low band never died. Still some Troop HQs doing BOLO's on low-band
SOPS is on Analog... Yes

matt04

Premium Subscriber
You want the Analog Motorola system in Eastern MA for MSP. If you travel to Western MA, not sure the dividing line, you will hear MSP primaraily on the new P25 system but also on the Analog sytem as well.

garys

Premium Subscriber
ecps92's post is spot on. In Somerville you want Zone 5 on the analog system. Depending on which TGs you program in, you will get most of the MSP traffic in from Worcester inbound. You can get Troop A, Troop C (some), Troop D (some), Troop H, and the SOPS and Event TGs.

CoMIRS is a complex system and somewhat confusing. While MassPort, Worcester, Cambridge, all use the MSP Astro Core (controller software) they all own their own hardware. The 700Mhz overlay is not currently used for MSP other than units from MassPort that are outside the area covered by the MassPort trunk.

Absent a large infusion of federal grant money, the conversion to P25 statewide is going to be some time.

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post in, if not I apologize in advance and if you can direct me to the correct forum I would appreciate it. I am located right outside of Boston. I have a TRX1 scanner and recently programmed it using the software Whistler TRX1 Handheld Digital Scanner Programming System-CDAT.

ecps92

the last Analog [roughly] to the major west is Holyoke, so call it Rte 90 / Rte 91
going west it becomes CoMIRS, going North it is mostly CoMIRS but you are on the border of C-Troops Analog

Been awhile since I was in No.Adams, so not sure if Mt Greylock is the last Analog standing within B-Troop other then Zone 18 in Holyoke
You want the Analog Motorola system in Eastern MA for MSP. If you travel to Western MA, not sure the dividing line, you will hear MSP primaraily on the new P25 system but also on the Analog sytem as well.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Greylock, Site 7 still running. Also, Mt Toby, Sunderland is still active as Site 17. Not form monitoring those sites but they are still Neighbors to Mt Tom analog site.

chris

Firefox10

Premium Subscriber
Alls been quiet on GANG -A- and GANG -H- for weeks. Heard they have switched to a Zello group. Guess we were hearing too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.