Mass State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobm1940

Premium Subscriber
How do I get zone 5 into my bcd396xt radio? I have FreeScan & radio ref. also. I live in NH and cant receive Boston simulcast. If I download central Mass ln it I can get the troops.What do I need to do to receive zone 5? Does any one know?

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Well, for starters, are you within range to receive Zone 5 from your location in NH? Second, if you are loading in Zone 8, which I believe is the Central MA Zone and are receiving it, then the same process should be used for loading in Zone 5. After loading in Zone 5 to the scanner, manually navigate to the active control channel and HOLD on it to see if you hear the data stream. Try the same for Zone 8, then let us know the results.

bobm1940

Premium Subscriber
State Police

I think I am to far away from Boston. I believe as the crow flies Leominster May be closer to me. I use FreeScan to load central Mass into scanner. I Have troop A & C plus statewide & tech's. Only have one or two lines but can receive them.I believe Boston is too far away from me.Have to live with what I have I guess.Thank you for your help........bobm

bobm1940

Premium Subscriber
State Police

I guess that's one idea but I'm 73 years old so I'm not going on no ladder. Lol But thanks for your advice.

How about this,,

You could get some PVC..Build a small mount for indoor placement,
AUDIODAVE1 has some good pics of his set up in the attic..,

Audiodave1 Shack and Equipment Photos

If no attic,maybe in an upstairs room..If no upstairs...Well...At 73
Im not pushin a ladder in front of you...LOL..All in good fun sir!..

Good luck & Cheers..

NYRHKY94

RMMurray:

I'm not far from you and have a very good antenna mounted outside at 35'. I am NOT able to receive any of the MSP zones at all. It's just too far. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Thanks

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think I am to far away from Boston. I believe as the crow flies Leominster May be closer to me. I use FreeScan to load central Mass into scanner. I Have troop A & C plus statewide & tech's. Only have one or two lines but can receive them.I believe Boston is too far away from me.Have to live with what I have I guess.Thank you for your help........bobm

Keep in mind that the Zone 5 (greater Boston) system has multiple sites for transmitters, not just Boston. As does Zone 8 (central MA) it might just be that the line of site from one of the Zone 8 sites to where you are is better. If you're on a hill, you're going to get better reception as a general rule.

In general, I expect to lose mobile reception of the MSP system about 5-8 miles into New Hampshire, so where you are you're doing well to get anything.

Also, good move not going up on the roof. The older you get, the easier it is to get seriously injured in even a short fall.

N1BHH

Zone 5 basically covers the eastern part of the state, Troops A and H, and there is a Zone 20 that you may also want to enter, as it is supposed to fill in holes in the Lowell, Lawrence area. It carries the same traffic as Zone 5. Entering all the zones the same way will work.

bobm1940

Premium Subscriber
State Police

If I go thru central Mass I get some action and that's with antenna on radio in house. Think I'll just leave it alone for now.There are no ladders in my future now.........Thanks for everyone's help

Status
Not open for further replies.