SDS100/SDS200: Mass storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowes1

I just got a SDS 100 and can't even get mass storage to work. I am using my wife's pc since I only have a Mac. I have previously attempted to enter numerous favorites onto the Sentinel software but I can't even get mass storage to work. I plugged the connecting cord into the usb 2 connection on the scanner. It doesn't appear that the cord will fit into the usb 1 port. I have tried connecting the other end into 3 separate usb ports on the pc. When I turn on the scanner and enter E, the mass storage language comes on but nothing happens. When I go to control panel and then devices on the computer, the computer indicates that it cannot recognize the serial driver on the SDS 100. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the cable that came with the scanner?

If all else fails, you can remove the SD card from the scanner and put it in a card reader slot on your computer and deal with it that way. (You may need to scare up an adapter for the SD card).

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I just got a SDS 100 and can't even get mass storage to work. I am using my wife's pc since I only have a Mac. I have previously attempted to enter numerous favorites onto the Sentinel software but I can't even get mass storage to work. I plugged the connecting cord into the usb 2 connection on the scanner. It doesn't appear that the cord will fit into the usb 1 port. I have tried connecting the other end into 3 separate usb ports on the pc. When I turn on the scanner and enter E, the mass storage language comes on but nothing happens. When I go to control panel and then devices on the computer, the computer indicates that it cannot recognize the serial driver on the SDS 100. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Who makes the computer, what model, and what version of Windows is installed?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
When I turn on the scanner and enter E, the mass storage language comes on but nothing happens. When I go to control panel and then devices on the computer, the computer indicates that it cannot recognize the serial driver on the SDS 100. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure the SDS100 is going into Mass Storage Mode? Serial Drivers are NOT used when in Mass Storage Mode.
They are only used when in Serial Mode like would happen if you did not press E at the correct time or fast enough when presented the option.
Also, a damaged USB2 (Don't try USB1 on the SDS100, that port is unused at this time) port and/OR bad USB cable would cause the scanner to drop out of Mass Storage Mode as well. The port needs to see +5 VDC to recognize an active USB signal is present. If the cable connection is flaky, the radio will go in and out of serial port mode even if you were able to enter mass storage mode for a short period of time.

Try a different USB cable for starters.

Some USB port chipsets in some computers are simply not compatible with the Uniden scanners either. I see this mostly with newer computers that have USB 3 ports.

Also, when the SDS100 goes into Mass Storage Mode, a new Drive Letter should become available under My Computer or This Computer.
If that shows up, it is working as it should and Sentinel should then communicate with the SDS100 by doing a Read from Scanner under the Scanner menu at the top of Sentinel.

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
When you plug the USB cable into the computer then plug the USB cable into the scanner the scanner will ask if you want to put the scanner into MASS STORAGE MODE PRESS YES Y KEY if you do not do this the scanner will auto pick SERIAL MODE after about 15 seconds.
When you press E or YES does the key pad beep?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Some HP computers are very slow to recognize USB when it's first plugged in. I had 2 HPs that took about 90 seconds before being able to use any USB device after plugged in. One of them also did that with SD cards, too.

lowes1

Thanks for your input regarding my mass storage issue. Fortunately, my son, who lives 500 miles away, was able to resolve the issue by actually remotely taking over the computer (Team Viewer program) and fix the issue. He also installed the favorites list which he put on Sentinel for me (even before I got the scanner) when he came home a few weeks ago. By the way, I was working on an HP. Thanks again to all who responded.

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear your son is up on his computer skills, I hope you enjoy your 100 as much as I enjoy mine!
Happy Listening

Status
Not open for further replies.