Massachusetts State Police on North Shore

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioBoston

Hello,

I live in East Lynn and I owe BCD436HP, and I just bought SDS200. I was never able to get any State Police signal from my house, and I thought that was due to simulcasting.
I am able to hear State Police from my car on Rt. 1 in Saugus, or along I-95 and I-93 with usual BCD436HP limitations.
I was hoping with my new SDS200 I'll be able to hear State Police from my house, but still no go. It is scanning systems Comm. of Massachusetts and Mass. State Police (just like my BCD436HP), but it doesn't pick up anything.

Do you have any idea why is this happening, and how I can pick up some SP signal?

ecps92

Which Zone/Sites are you attempting to listen to ?
If not Zone 5 that maybe the issue, as the legacy TRS has no simulcasting issues, but does have some coverage gaps

Hello,

I live in East Lynn and I owe BCD436HP, and I just bought SDS200. I was never able to get any State Police signal from my house, and I thought that was due to simulcasting.
I am able to hear State Police from my car on Rt. 1 in Saugus, or along I-95 and I-93 with usual BCD436HP limitations.
I was hoping with my new SDS200 I'll be able to hear State Police from my house, but still no go. It is scanning systems Comm. of Massachusetts and Mass. State Police (just like my BCD436HP), but it doesn't pick up anything.

Do you have any idea why is this happening, and how I can pick up some SP signal?

garys

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of variables that can effect reception. Assuming you are using the same radio in both your home and vehicle, what type of antenna are you using? I'd start eliminating variables such as that.

divison200

Go to system frequencies in the database radioreference
Go to metro boston simulcast, add these frequencies 854.5625, 854.6125 and 856.0625
Add State Pd Troop A North Great Boston Talk Groups

garys

Premium Subscriber
He's able to receive when he's in his vehicle, but not when he's home. If he's using the same 436HP in both home and vehicle, it's unlikely to be a programming issue.

RadioBoston

Hello everyone,
Thank you for your response. I was trying to listen any of the SP channels that are preprogrammed in Uniden.
Based on divison200 recommendation I manually added these frequencies: 854.5625, 854.6125, and 856.0625 and I just get intermittently a humming noise.

divison200

Make sure you go to Massachusetts State Police Motorola Type II SmartZone for your frequencies and groups

Comm of Massachusetts P25, not too much state police traffic except for Logan Airport and other agencies

gordon115

The Route 1 corridor in Lynnfield and Peabody and adjacent parts of Lynn are notorious for poor signal on the current analog system, I've heard the troopers and radio shop discuss it a few times.

If you look at the map of the current analog sites this area isn't near any of them and is also blocked by higher ground from some of the nearest sites.

The new P25 system licenses show a few new sites being added in that area.

Gordon

Last edited:

XPS720

Premium Subscriber
I have a problem with Mass. State Police as I no longer see any frequency activity or hear someone. I use Central simulcast on for my SDS 200 with an outside roof antenna. Only once did I get a 1 on the meter for signal and I use data base for scan. Help me get MSP back :cry:

Thank you,

gordon115

I have a problem with Mass. State Police as I no longer see any frequency activity or hear someone. I use Central simulcast on for my SDS 200 with an outside roof antenna. Only once did I get a 1 on the meter for signal and I use data base for scan. Help me get

Thank you,
Exactly where are you and what zone are you trying to hear? By central zone do you mean zone 8 which is central mass Worcester County? You should be able to hear the zone that covers your area. 800 trunked systems typically don't provide much coverage beyond the area they are designed to cover.

Gordon

XPS720

Premium Subscriber
Exactly where are you and what zone are you trying to hear? By central zone do you mean zone 8 which is central mass Worcester County? You should be able to hear the zone that covers your area. 800 trunked systems typically don't provide much coverage beyond the area they are designed to cover.

Gordon
I live in NE Conn, very close to Webster and RI border, and I use the Central Mass with site hold. This is the only one that I was receiving from. I always had a 5 on my meter.

Thank you,

ecps92

I would double check your antenna, from each connector, to the line,
then check the radio, did you turn on the ATT by accident ?
is the connector to the radio loose ?

I live in NE Conn, very close to Webster and RI border, and I use the Central Mass with site hold. This is the only one that I was receiving from. I always had a 5 on my meter.

Thank you,

XPS720

Premium Subscriber
I would double check your antenna, from each connector, to the line,
then check the radio, did you turn on the ATT by accident ?
is the connector to the radio loose ?
Well if it was my antenna I would not hear All the towns on Worcester county, Webster, Dudley, Oxford, Auburn Charlton ext. And they all have a strong signal. I will ask someone to go up and check the antenna as we did get heavy winds this summer. I might of found the problem as I did look at my neighbors tree, with many maple leaves, and a bit higher than my antenna, is it possible to block my signal?

ecps92

When did the issue begin ?
Spring when the leaves began to sprout ? or Later ? if later, then not a foliage issue, if Spring, the yes it can impact reception
Well if it was my antenna I would not hear All the towns on Worcester county, Webster, Dudley, Oxford, Auburn Charlton ext. And they all have a strong signal. I will ask someone to go up and check the antenna as we did get heavy winds this summer. I might of found the problem as I did look at my neighbors tree, with many maple leaves, and a bit higher than my antenna, is it possible to block my signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.