Massive Antenna Farm East of Warren Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast1eddie

I do field service work and was on the back to Pennsylvania from Warren Ohio when I noticed a massive HF antenna farm upon crossing the state line. Looks like 4-5 towers that appear to be at least 500 feet with extremely large HF antennas, oriented horizontal with all in different directions. Also saw a number of well placed verticals at ground level. Could not stop and poke around, did not see any fences or other barriers. This has got to be military or other federal agency. No way would the average ham/radio geek be able to afford this.

Anyone have any idea as to ownership?? Would be nice to plug in my R71A and cruise play for a few days.

Good Signals,

Ed

T-Santon

Possibly related to Air Force Reserve Base at the airport in Vienna???

But that's just total speculation on my part.....It definitely strikes my curiosity, though.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

MSTOUFFER

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed it also on I80 south of the interstate at the state line

T-Santon

I've been running around this area for years and cant ever remembering such a place ... Could be, but I'd like to have a better landmark to go see this..

I would too...so this antenna farm is in Pennsylvania, technically???

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It is incredible. If I'm not mistaken, the station probably gets used for contesting less than 12 times a year. Perhaps closer to 6 times a year. They play in only the major contests.

Also, I'm not sure that there is any tower there over 200' tall. From the interstate though it definitely is an awesome site, and nothing to sneeze at. Although it's a hobby, the guys with these big contest stations are professionals in that they design and build their own stations and antennas, and they are very attuned to propagation forecasting and knowing where to turn an antenna, when to be on a band, what band is best to reach the target area at a given time of day, what band will allow communication at any given time of day, etc. It's a talent and a skill.

Of course, it certainly does help that somebody has money. You can't do it without money :)

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Amen on the money Mtindor ! Just as soon as I get filthy stinkin rich.....hehe

Yeah, at night when I am dreaming of winning the lottery [which I don't play], I have visions of a a couple thousand feet of aluminum towers in the air :) Minus a lot of money, one can still do quite a bit if they have some land. 0.33 acres just doesn't cut it for me !

Mike

T-Santon

Yeah, at night when I am dreaming of winning the lottery [which I don't play], I have visions of a a couple thousand feet of aluminum towers in the air :) Minus a lot of money, one can still do quite a bit if they have some land. 0.33 acres just doesn't cut it for me !

Mike

I thought I was the only one! Not only do I dream of the towers, but I've even mapped out all of the highest elevated properties in Geauga County that I would put them on, lol...

One day, Ensign Road in East Claridon will be mine! Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.