• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Massive QRO 27MHz’s is a religion to many in the US 😇

Not sure of the power they are running, but it looks massive from what I can see. Here is what this looks like on a typical afternoon here in Southern California - This was received on a WinRadio SDR and a Pixel Loop. This guys signal splatters across ~300 kHz of spectrum.

I don’t think the transmitter this guy is using would make it in the Rob Sherwoods top 100 list. Lol.

Steve162

Premium Subscriber
About 20 years ago, a neighbor came over and said my internet was messing with her cable TV. I asked how come she thought it was me. Couldn’t get a reasonable answer. I went to her house and saw a shadow of a web page while watching cable TV. She didn’t have Internet. I told her to call Charter.
I forgot to mention she was a St. Louis Rams cheerleader. 😎
But did she show you her pom-poms? :cool:

prcguy

I looked over some of the videos of the biggest setups and the last wattmeter in the chain had a 50kW slug, so the max power would be no more than 50kW. I don't think any of these setups approach 100kW, you would need at least 150kW kW of power to feed a 70% efficient class C amp and a 150kW generator would be nearly the size of a van by itself.

merlin

Big Bertha looks like a Broadcast transceiver. With all the dials and knobs it’s beautiful. Oh those were the days. And the 3K running a 3cx1200, 5,000volts plate voltage and about??? 3,000+ watts tuned hi power. Solid as a tank.
On board destroyers there was a radio room with several of these.
The driver drawer had 4CX1500 (8877) and the final a 4CX5000r
People rob the AM modulator for the pair of 3-1000s, sockets and chimney's
Perfect hole for an R-390. Now it is a transceiver.
Takes 3 phase 220@20 amps/phase to run this pig

Attachments

• R.jpg
    R.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 12

merlin

The Johnson invader 2000 was about the hottest I know of.
Atop 14 story in downtown LA with 1/4 droopydrawer antenna.
Handle 'Son of a preacher man.'

Last edited:
I looked over some of the videos of the biggest setups and the last wattmeter in the chain had a 50kW slug, so the max power would be no more than 50kW. I don't think any of these setups approach 100kW, you would need at least 150kW kW of power to feed a 70% efficient class C amp and a 150kW generator would be nearly the size of a van by itself.
I think there are many stations transmitting more than what we’ve been talking about. There the ones that remain out of sight, out of mind. They don’t talk about it and don’t video about it. Unlimited money can buy you anything. Except lo❤️e. Lol.

Yes many op’s like to bloat there using a 8877/s. But to use them as drivers deserves bragging rights.

I ve always wondered what happens to the radio equipment when ã battleship becomes de commissioned. Alot may go to museums and many get trashed for there goods.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There used to be periodic reports of individuals messing with a powered up amp, or un-discharged capacitors and lighting themselves up. I know there was a new story probably 20 years ago about one of them getting killed by the high voltage….

There used to be periodic reports of individuals messing with a powered up amp, or un-discharged capacitors and lighting themselves up. I know there was a new story probably 20 years ago about one of them getting killed by the high voltage….
Some People underestimate capacitors. You have to know what you’re doing because it’s no joke.

prcguy

I think there are many stations transmitting more than what we’ve been talking about. There the ones that remain out of sight, out of mind. They don’t talk about it and don’t video about it. Unlimited money can buy you anything. Except lo❤️e. Lol.
Going mobile has its ultimate power generating limitations and I think about 30-40kW RF output would be the upper limit based on vehicle HP and the amount of alternators you can run. Even for base station use the TMC 10kW transmitter a few posts up requires 210-250VAC three phase at about 50 amps per phase. That is not available in your typical residential neighborhood.

mastr

A few years ago a friend offered me a "CB linear" from an estate sale. Curious about it I asked him to tell me what tubes it used, turned out to be a single 4CX15,000A/8281. I do not know where it ended up, just that I didn't need it.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I find most of the people using big amps modulations suck can't here them and they scatter over four stations on either side.

merlin

I ve always wondered what happens to the radio equipment when ã battleship becomes de commissioned. Alot may go to museums and many get trashed for there goods.
The stuff usually went to DOD auctions, that is how I got mine. The lot I won also had an FRT 26B,(Little Bertha) and some racks of Watkins Johnson receivers and misc. Sadly, you don't find DPDO auctions today.

merlin

I am sure there have been few times at military installations, bored sparkies would use 50KW on CB, but never heard of such in private hands. DOD surplus did have transmitters that huge someone could buy.
Lets talk weight here. The plate transformer in the 10K was 760 pounds by itself.

merlin

I find most of the people using big amps modulations suck can't here them and they scatter over four stations on either side.
That is because it is not high level modulation. Class C amplifiers are fine for CW-FSK but distort AM.
And forget SSB, class C amps are not linear.