Mast mounting options

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick1427d

Premium Subscriber
Hope this is right area to post these questions.

I've been getting by with my monitoring (scanners only) but due to my constant pursuing of distant signals, I've decided to begin researching ways to mount some external antennas on my house. My house is a 2 story pitched roof with chimney and I have 2 vent pipes on one side of house. I'm thinking at this point about installing around 5 antennas. 2-3 VHF, an 800, a 900 all omni, and a wideband discone. Debating between 5' and 10' mast.

Couple of ideas/options I've thought about:

1) Mounting a few to each vent pipe. Easiest but not the best height. Coax run would be about 30' to my shack. Thought this might be best for the 800 P25 system which is roughly 20 miles away. Not the best for the VHF and 900 systems

2) Chimney strap mount to the chimney, although chimney is very wide and I don't feel this is very secure for the amount of antennas that would be on the mast.

3) Drilling wall mount/eave mount into chimney. The chimney itself I can't tell how it's constructed but it's wrapped in siding. However at the top/edge of the chimney is a significant amount of metal "flashing" as I call it they I figured I could drill into and seal. The actual flue is about 2 foot away from where I would be drilling. I'm also a bit concerned about the smoke long term and it's effects on the antenna. Also this would be about a 50' to my shack.

4) Eave mount. This would be simplest coax run as I would be running coax at this location into attic then down into the shack room on 2nd floor. Don't feel this is as discreet as chimney option. Either way with all the antennas it's all probably going to be noticeable. This would be roughly 30' run.

So I'm having trouble weighing installation difficulty with coax runs and losses. Needs to be strong since our midwest storms can get rough. System will need to be grounded properly due to lightning as well.

Just thought I'd share my plans and see if anyone has a similar experience and/or what would be my best bet. Let's just say for argument that money is no issue.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Do you have any strong sturdy fence poles to put stuff on? I like the eave mount idea better then the rest of your options.

Status
Not open for further replies.