Mast on second level and grounding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

supercazzola

I'm not easily able to run a ground wire from the location of my mast to the grounding rod where the electric power comes to the house (second level of 1.5 story house - there is only a single room at this level and the walls don't extend out to the border of the home). So I will have to run the mast grounding wire a bit along the shingles to a new grounding rod. I will also ground the Lightening arrester to the same wire and rod.
Am I at extreme risk by not having that second grounding rod connected to the one that is by the electrical box?
I'm using #8 solid copper (bare) for the grounding wire, and want to reduce the path from the mast to the new rod to be as direct as possible.
Just in case I wasn't clear, I will try to attach
a photo of the area

WA0CBW

If your mast grounding rod is 8-feet long and you are within 16 to 20 feet of the electrical ground rod you are probably ok. Ground rods are usually placed 2 times there length apart. So if both rods are 8-foot long and they are no greater than 16 feet apart your are probably ok. The problem is the farther apart they are the greater the potential difference between them. You want all your grounds to be the same potential, that is why the NEC requires them to be connected together. You also don't want to "daisy chain" grounds. Assuming your lightning suppressor is near the mast you could probably connect it to the mast ground but it should have its own ground wire to the ground rod. Also because of the distance you are running the ground you should probably use a minimum of #6 or larger to minimize the voltage drop.

supercazzola

Thank you. I may still try to run a ground cable to the electrical ground rod, but do you think (besides looks), the cable is able to lay on roof? I probably have a 60' run to the rod. I just can't move the mast at this point.

supercazzola

To wrap this up, it was too difficult for me to feel comfortable with this setup, so a friend and I moved the location to one very close to the grounding rod for the electric. I still may drive in its own grounding rod, and then strap the two together.

Status
Not open for further replies.