• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MASTR II on 800MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
My current employer is using a MASTR II on an 800MHz commercial system. Is 800MHz subject to the narrowband mandate, and if yes, is it possible to convert a MASTR II to narrowband operation?

prcguy

That's a question you should have asked many years ago. 800 is not required to narrowband and you can run your Master II until it or the sun burns out. Good chance the sun will go first.

My current employer is using a MASTR II on an 800MHz commercial system. Is 800MHz subject to the narrowband mandate, and if yes, is it possible to convert a MASTR II to narrowband operation?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
That's a question you should have asked many years ago. 800 is not required to narrowband and you can run your Master II until it or the sun burns out. Good chance the sun will go first.
The better question, why in God's Green Earth is someone still running a MASTR II in a commercial environment?

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
VNNZUXr.jpg

Here's the dinosaur in her natural habitat, second floor of a maintenance shop along with spare light bulbs and equipment drive belts. This site has the single most boneheaded radio arrangement I've ever seen - the repeater's antenna is only about 20' AGL, and is located in a valley. Much of the intended service area is a plateau 40' above said valley, with a huge pile of waste material stacked on top of it. Lots of complaints about scratchy signal or transmissions not going out, and management is totally uninterested in having a talkaround programmed. I've tried.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Why not? That repeater actually has a front end (helical) compared to the newer stuff..
As a repeater it's a little more understandable. As a mobile, not so.

The big issue with the crystal controlled stuff is you are up a specific creek without a problem if you either need to change the operating frequency or the tech who used to work on it has retired and his/her replacement doesn't want to touch it. Yes they are reliable, fairly stable, but keeping them up can be a bit of a challenge these days.

12dbsinad

The big issue with the crystal controlled stuff is you are up a specific creek without a problem if you either need to change the operating frequency or the tech who used to work on it has retired and his/her replacement doesn't want to touch it. Yes they are reliable, fairly stable, but keeping them up can be a bit of a challenge these days.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't even consider running M2 mobiles.

Agree on the frequency part. Now that ICM has gone out of business you are indeed up a creek with re-crystalling (the right way) as they performed temp compensation. I don't know of anyone else who does that now. If and when the station breaks or need to change freq or modulation scheme they can throw it away and enjoyed having it..

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The better question, why in God's Green Earth is someone still running a MASTR II in a commercial environment?
The one pictured isn't as antique, based on the 1990s "GE Mobile Communications" font and stylized logo. If it's an 800MHz conventional system, that repeater will probably indeed outlive all of us and not necessarily needing replacement if it's working fine.
When I took my position 5 years ago, there was still a Micor 800MHz repeater located at our jail- still working despite layers of dust on it. Per the date codes on the caps in the power supply, it was made in 1985. Don't worry, we replaced it with a GTR8000 2nd gen.

prcguy

There is a local organization that has over 30 repeaters with most being Master II with a couple of MSF5000s and I usually get the call when any repair is needed. Its extremely rare that I get a call to do anything on that system, it just keeps working.

towersites

Premium Subscriber
Bomar Crystal still does the xtals for Mastr ii repeaters. Did a great job on a pair for me not to long ago. Very stable I must say.

Status
Not open for further replies.