Mat-Su Valley Listening...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
So when it boils down to it. With the AST being pretty much entirely encrypted, what is there worth scanning for in the Mat-Su Valley in terms of public safety, aviation, and such in the summer?

I've been in the region plenty, but have never brought a radio. Can't wait for this trip to Wasilla/Talkeetna. Let's just say if all goes well, I may not reside in New Jersey much longer. :)

vinzep491

I have read that you will sometimes catsch AST when the key drops, so it may be beneficial to throw them in the scan list and see for yourself.

Alot of the smaller departments are starting to join the state sysytem, with and without ENC, and some are still on conventional. The best thing to do is program in the state sysytem and see what you come up with, then scan conventional channels as well. This area has less members than more populated areas of the US, so info gets updated more slowly. Just keep your ears open and make the trip a mission to update the database as to what you find. Frequency hunting is half the fun of the hobby!

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
I have read that you will sometimes catsch AST when the key drops, so it may be beneficial to throw them in the scan list and see for yourself.

I can confirm that MAT-COM (AST & Wasilla police department) is sometimes in the clear. They were in the clear for about a month last fall. What did you mean by "key drops"? Do they change/lose their encryption keys occasionally.

Anyway, besides that - Fire and EMS dispatch is universal throughout the valley - it's on 154.295. Palmer Police was also on conventional when I was there last month. There are also a few commercial/government frequencies both on ALMR and conventional. You can pick up some Anchorage stuff if you have a good antenna. I pick up MatSu EMS from South Anchorage without much special equipment.

PM me if you have any more questions when you are coming through, I have quite a few things figured out in the area.

vinzep491

What did you mean by "key drops"? Do they change/lose their encryption keys occasionally.

Either the radio is tuning in mid way thru a conversation and their radio has not applied the key, or a user keys up but their ENC switch may not be turned back on from the last unENC channel they were on. Maybe one radio's programming got messed up and the key was "lost", or maybe one has not been to the shop to program their key yet.

I do not understand the exact technical aspects of it completly but I know it does happen on multiple systems.

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, thanks...It's interesting how it does it with dispatch. I know they have about 5 different radio ID's for dispatch (including one for Wasilla PD), and some of them are always in the clear. Oh well, I'll take what I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.