Max channels in 996 - is it really 6,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mam1081

Feed Provider
Well, I know that the 396 said that 6,000 channels was the approximate maximum based on typical channels and what is stored (tone, text, etc...).

All the literature I have read on the 996 states 6,000 is the capacity of the scanner. When I look at my settings->memory usage, I only have about 50% total memory used with around 5,200 channels programmed (shows about 87% usage on channels). I am lacking in total numbers of systems and sites (maybe around 20% on both of those) - maybe that's where a "typical" person would use more memory. Anyone max out their memory yet? How many channels do you have programmed in your scanner? Will it not let me program any more after 6,000? Maybe the USAD program will not allow me to program more than 6,000, but can I do the rest by hand until my memory usage is 100%? Anyone good at hacking the radio apart venture to throw some more memory in the 996?

Just curious before I hit the limit!

safetyobc

mam1081 said:
anyone???

Maybe I'm just going to have to sit down and program another 1,000 channels!

I have the BCT15 and the memory used screen shows:

Memory Used: 34%
System 60: 12%
Site 60: 6%
CHN 2470 98%

I actually went over the 2500 limit on UASD and it wouldn't load to the scanner. I had to delete some of my systems to make it all fit. Even though the actual Memory used is only 34%, the max channels have been reached. Now I only have room for 30 more frequencies if I find TGIDs or freqs during searches.

Soooo, with all that said, 6000 would be the max on the 996.

matt

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
That is a good question I have mine setup different. I use groups. If you put in TG's that is channels also. I dump the whole radio since I don't use all of them I have like 18% used.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.