Max Systems 8HH antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy252

Premium Subscriber
Anybody use this?

I need some reviews... is it really as "serious" as it is stated to be?

How much stronger are you recieving 800 MHz signals?

Would you recommend me buying it?

N1BHH

All that antenna is is a ground plane. That should really, ideally be hung up in the corner of the room, or by a window, or better yet, outside and fed with a short piece of cable. I don't see much improvement with using that over an OEM ducky. Heck you could build that, SO239 and some welding rod and you got a little ole 800 Megahertz unity gain antenna.

moonies

max system antennas

I use them and found a 1-2 signal bar gain over any other 800 antenna!! It allows me to hear new jersey/connecticut without having to use an outside antenna. I highly recommend them.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I've ben using on for over ten years now. It is the difference between maybe hearing the signal, and hearing it steady. When going for 800Mhz signals, it is my choice. However, I do not like the current ones they are selling. As I said, I have been using one for a long time, and it uses a heavier coax that stood straight up when in use. I recently purchased a second one, and I am dissapointed in it. It uses thinner, cheaper coax, almost like Radio Shacks RG-58. When attached to a radio, the antenna has a tendancy to droop over. The only way for it to maintain a vertical alignment, you have to prop it up against something.

n2mdk

I have a new one, the base model, the coax on it is actually 1/4" hardline. The falling over has nothing to do with the coax itself it's the Rt Angle BNC that is somewhat loose.
I think the HH model makes more sense but using it on a handheld is awkward.
I like the way it looks on my 780 but don't think it works any better than the Antenex 1/2wave does. It is better than the RS 800MHz duckie.
Antenax http://www.scannermaster.com/800_MHz_2_5db_Gain_Antenex_Prof_Port_Antenna_p/14-540714.htm
It comes in BNC and SMA

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I might have ordered the HH version. What I have is not hardline. And the fall over is the coax itselve. It is interesting to watch the coax slowly bend over as gravity takes hold of the antenna. yeah, I need a life.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
gldavis said:
I've ben using on for over ten years now. It is the difference between maybe hearing the signal, and hearing it steady. When going for 800Mhz signals, it is my choice. However, I do not like the current ones they are selling. As I said, I have been using one for a long time, and it uses a heavier coax that stood straight up when in use. I recently purchased a second one, and I am dissapointed in it. It uses thinner, cheaper coax, almost like Radio Shacks RG-58. When attached to a radio, the antenna has a tendancy to droop over. The only way for it to maintain a vertical alignment, you have to prop it up against something.

Are you certain it's a Max Systems antenna? I've seen a clone of the Max Systems antenna on eBay occasionally, that uses regular coax in place of the rigid tubing.

Status
Not open for further replies.