Max time logged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

52to12 said:
What is the maximum time a subscriber can remain logged in on the forums?

Not horribly long unless you're showing activity (clicking links, etc.). This does present a problem when attempting to make a longer post, but I reckon that it does make sure nobody's squatting while they're not using RR.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
2112 said:
Not horribly long unless you're showing activity (clicking links, etc.). This does present a problem when attempting to make a longer post, but I reckon that it does make sure nobody's squatting while they're not using RR.
I am not sure what this means. The first response made a lot more sense. There is no "anti-squatting" rule or anything else except a timeout which will clear your "unread messages" after a certain amount of time (I think is is on the order of several hours). This does not say that your ISP doesn't cut you off for inactivity, but RR doesn't do it.

loumaag said:
I am not sure what this means. The first response made a lot more sense. There is no "anti-squatting" rule or anything else except a timeout which will clear your "unread messages" after a certain amount of time (I think is is on the order of several hours). This does not say that your ISP doesn't cut you off for inactivity, but RR doesn't do it.

I didn't mention any anti-squatting "rule". I used "squatting" to mean "those that sit on the site logged in without doing anything (for whatever reason)... unnecessarily using up network resources. (If RR was doing this, I certainly wouldn't blame them, what with thousands of members and all.)

My ISP doesn't time me out for general inactivity, and I seriously doubt that it specifcally targets RR.com. Regardless, I am forced to reauthenticate with RR after maybe 15 minutes or so of inactivity. What else might be causing this?

seamusg

2112 said:
I didn't mention any anti-squatting "rule". I used "squatting" to mean "those that sit on the site logged in without doing anything (for whatever reason)... unnecessarily using up network resources. (If RR was doing this, I certainly wouldn't blame them, what with thousands of members and all.)

My ISP doesn't time me out for general inactivity, and I seriously doubt that it specifcally targets RR.com. Regardless, I am forced to reauthenticate with RR after maybe 15 minutes or so of inactivity. What else might be causing this?
Sounds like a setting for your cookies. On this site like most I only have to re login in every two to three months.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I will agree with seamusg on this. What you describe is something on your end. The only time I have to login is if the site goes through a software update. There have been times I would be doing something here on the site and went away from the computer and returned better than 24 hours later and the screen (after waking up the monitor) will be right where I left it. (It is rough getting old. :roll: )

loumaag said:
I will agree with seamusg on this. What you describe is something on your end. The only time I have to login is if the site goes through a software update. There have been times I would be doing something here on the site and went away from the computer and returned better than 24 hours later and the screen (after waking up the monitor) will be right where I left it. (It is rough getting old. :roll: )

Wow... and I get this on multiple computers. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

Thanks! :)

seamusg

2112 said:
Wow... and I get this on multiple computers. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

Thanks! :)
Check your browser for cookie settings. I'm using Netscape and under Privacy and Security there is a setting for cookie life time.

Status
Not open for further replies.