• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Maxar 80 programming? Minitor III IV 3, 4 Antenna, Houseing, & Programming Q's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue4520

First off I have a Motorola Maxar 80 with 4 ch. Does anyone know where I can get it programmed, and get it done cheap? How do I do it myself since its crystal controlled, and where can I get cheap crystals for it? Its going to be a GMRS 467 freq, or on ham freq have not decided which yet.

My other questions are where can I buy a Minitor III VHF antenna for the amp charger very cheap? FYI Already tried Ebay. ( I mainly use 154.4150, 154.3850, 154.2800, 154.1450). I already have an antenna but I am pretty sure it is low band for 33.Mhz which measures a tad bit over 19 inches dont really work too well either, I am a bit out of range but can get it working with a Radio Shack groundplane scanner antenna, but that is getting to be too much trouble since I cant listen to both scanner & pager at once and I want to use the minitor stock antenna. How do I convert the 19" Low band to VHF, and how long should I cut it to? Also was thinking about using one of those stock wire BNC suction cup mount antennas that come with the mobile scanners we all have laying around, but I dont know how long to cut it to?

My third question is about my minitor III houseing, is it possible to put a minitor III in the houseing of the Minitor IV? I like the knobs better on the 4. How would I be able to do so?

I do my own pager programming because I use them as a scanner also. I was wondering if it is possible to use the weather 162.4 and fire dispatch 154.415 in the same pager with the split of 151-159? In other words how do change the band split? I also was wondering how to put 46.46 and 154.415 in the same pager, and would love to put one on ham 147. freq's to monitor my favorite ones. I have 4 pagers now and am getting tired of carrying around 3 pagers one hybrid minitor/director 2 mixed parts for weather, 1 VHF, and last 2 Low band.

I hope someone can help me out, Thanks

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I do my own pager programming because I use them as a scanner also. I was wondering if it is possible to use the weather 162.4 and fire dispatch 154.415 in the same pager with the split of 151-159? In other words how do change the band split? I also was wondering how to put 46.46 and 154.415 in the same pager, and would love to put one on ham 147. freq's to monitor my favorite ones. I have 4 pagers now and am getting tired of carrying around 3 pagers one hybrid minitor/director 2 mixed parts for weather, 1 VHF, and last 2 Low band.

I hope someone can help me out, Thanks

I can answer a few of your pager questions.
Programming out of band in the minitor won't make them as useful, your better off buying one in that specific band split. This is why Motorola made their pagers with several band splits. If you really wanted to then you'll have to tool around in a hex editor.
You can't put a low band frequency & VHF High frequency on the same pager its not possible. Theres only 1 RF board inside the pager to handle that certain bandsplit.
By the sound of it your better off just using a scanner

fineshot1

First off I have a Motorola Maxar 80 with 4 ch. Does anyone know where I can get it programmed, and get it done cheap? How do I do it myself since its crystal controlled, and where can I get cheap crystals for it? Its going to be a GMRS 467 freq, or on ham freq have not decided which yet.

No programing on these - as you later eluded to these are crystal controlled and you can order them
through Bomar or ICM below or any of the other crystal manufacturing outfits. The question is whether you have the test gear and knowledge to align tham after you get the crystals installed or perhaps it would be best if you have someone with that knowledge do it for you.

Bomar Crystal Company | surface mount oscillators, quartz crystals, watch crystals, clock oscillators, precision crystals, surface mount crystals, surface mount VCXOs, microprocessor crystals OCXO, OCXO’s, TCVCXO, TCXO, TCXO’s, VCXO’s

Crystals, oscillators, filters, precision crystals, TCXOs and more from International Crystal

DPapay

You cannot put a Min 3 pager into a Min 4 housing, the board layouts are slightly different, and as you pointed out, the knobs are different also, internally.

Changing the original antenna for the amp charger will do almost nothing to better your reception, if you keep it inside. You would have to get the antenna outside to make a difference. You could purchase a magmount vhf antenna assembly online probably for little dollars, and get the antenna out onto a rain gutter, or roof.

fineshot1

guy on ebay sells the crystals pretty cheap but I'd agree it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Motorola Minitor II - Keynote Pager Crystals Minitor 2 - eBay (item 270509923181 end time Feb-02-10 06:58:04 PST)

Fineshot.....out of curiosity, is it a matter of soldering them in or is there more to it than that?

Its been quite a few years since i worked on them on the bench but iirc the uhf models had them
plug into a socket and a clip over the top of them to hold them down steady from road vibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.