Maximizing the antenna im currently stuck with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmsales

I currently am using the little antenna that comes with your scanner for the car in my house. Id like to maximize it for optimal use. Currently i kinda just have it strun up the side of the wall at an angle. Would I get better reception if I ran it straigh up in a prefect line? Or will it really matter?

k9rzz

It should be within 30 degrees of vertical I guess. If it's a magnet mount, stick it on something metal like a filing cabinet or 'fridge.

Not exactly sure what kind antenna you're talking about though.

John k9RZZ

cnmsales

Sorry about that, you know the little wire antennas made to go inside your car atatched to the windshiled. Could you show me a diagram of what you mean by 30 dg of vertical. I think i know what you mean but want to make sure.

k9rzz

cnmsales said:
Sorry about that, you know the little wire antennas made to go inside your car atatched to the windshiled. Could you show me a diagram of what you mean by 30 dg of vertical. I think i know what you mean but want to make sure.

All of the police/fire/etc stuff you're gonna hear on the scanner is vertically polarized, meaning that their transmitting antennas are vertical. If your receiving antenna is horizontal, you'll loose about 20db in signal strength (quite a bit), some of the weaker stuff you won't hear at all. So, to maximize your antenna's potential, make it vertical as possible, not horizontal.

Make it | or \ but not __

:^]

John K9RZZ

cnmsales

So let me ask this if i ran it up my wall at 90 degree angle, another words straight up then along my roof that would allow the antenna to pick up the most frequincies right? because then its shapped to pick up both plolarizations?

Status
Not open for further replies.