• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Maximum Number of Contacts for XPR5550?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Since I am considering getting a ham license this year, I decided to program the local DMR-MARC site into my XPR5550 (RX Only...for now). When trying to enter most of the contact IDs for the state, it gave me a message saying that I could only store 1000 contacts, which doesn't make much sense because all indications I've seen have led me to believe that I could store more than that. Am I doing something wrong here?

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that in DMR all contact information includes all talk groups desired PLUS individual (private) contact data - Id#, Call sign, and Name.

XPR5550 has a limit of 1,000 contacts, so if you have 100 talk groups, the absolute limit for private contacts is 900...

I limit my radio's contact list to only registered users for Indiana and Illinois since I live in NW Indiana. :)

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind that in DMR all contact information includes all talk groups desired PLUS individual (private) contact data - Id#, Call sign, and Name.

XPR5550 has a limit of 1,000 contacts, so if you have 100 talk groups, the absolute limit for private contacts is 900...

Ok. That's kinda what I thought. I was just wanting to make sure I wasn't being stupid or something. Is this true for all XPR radios?

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I limit my radio's contact list to only registered users for Indiana and Illinois since I live in NW Indiana. :)

That's what I was trying to do here in Texas, but I came to find out that there are 1066 subscribers here.

Also, I overhead a conversation on the North America channel about there being some sort of firmware upgrade for the TYT MD380 that will allow you to store up to 50,000 contacts.

Last edited:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
That's what I was trying to do here in Texas, but I came to find out that there are 1066 subscribers here.
How interesting, Indiana currently has 910 subscribers and 39 repeaters...

..32 of which have the same talk group structure of only 14 TGs. :lol:

Illinois has 931 subscribers, but I have filtered them down to only those who live within range of Indiana's most western repeater coverage.

It's helpful to keep in mind that if something doesn't make sense that most current DMR radios were never intended for amateur use. Commercial users have no need for 65,000+ contacts! :roll:

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.

Also, I overhead a conversation on the North America channel about there being some sort of firmware upgrade for the TYT MD380 that will allow you to store up to 50,000 contacts.
I think i heard the same conversation but did not catch it all,if you hear any more about the update for the MD380 can you let us know.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I think i heard the same conversation but did not catch it all,if you hear any more about the update for the MD380 can you let us know.
The "experimental firmware" for the MD380 has been available for about six months now.

What Travis Goodspeed initially did was to delete all of the Chinese characters from the firmware, which has freed up enough memory to hold the entire current MARC ID database, as well as the new, additional functions he provides.

It's curious though that TYT put 32MB of memory in the UHF version, but only 1MB in the VHF version. As a result, the VHF versions cannot have their firmware updated using the experimental package.

On a personal level, I have opted to not risk bricking my MD380 with questionable code. Besides which, there have been numerous "forks" from the Open Source code Travis released, which has resulted in too many different improvement paradigms from which to choose... :roll:

See:
https://learn.adafruit.com/tytera-md-380-dmr/updating-md-380-firmware
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/md380tools

Status
Not open for further replies.