Maxrad PCTCN8063 800MHz For Starcom21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I wanted to know if anybody used this antenna for Starcom21. I ordered this antenna. Thoughts of the antenna are welcome and reviews of how far you got with it. Please dont say "let me google that for you". I already did that and got no where. And if it was bulky or not. Here is the link to the antenna:PCTEL PCTCN8063 806-866 3dB Titanium Gray Open Coil | TESSCO.

Thank you

Last edited:
Hello I wanted to know if anybody used this antenna for Starcom21. I ordered this antenna. Thoughts of the antenna are welcome and reviews of how far you got with it. Please dont say "let me google that for you". I already did that and got no where. And if it was bulky or not. Here is the link to the antenna:PCTEL PCTCN8063 806-866 3dB Titanium Gray Open Coil | TESSCO.

Thank you

I was wanting it to compare it to a duck 800MHz from Laird. Here is the link to that antenna:Laird Technologies EXE-806-BNX 800-866 Portable Antenna BNC, 8" | TESSCO.

I was wanting it to compare it to a duck 800MHz from Laird. Here is the link to that antenna:Laird Technologies EXE-806-BNX 800-866 Portable Antenna BNC, 8" | TESSCO.

PCTEL Maxrad 806-866 3dB Titanium Gray Open Coil - WirelessUnits.com

What do you mean by bulky? I've used these whips and their performance was OK, however I prefer the phantom antennas which perform and hold up better.

Laird Tech TRAB7603

I dont really listen to those sites. I was trying to get other 800MHz sites that are further from me. So have you used this antenna before?

I was trying to pickup the Springfield tower on Starcom21 and the Champaign County METCAD MDICE.

For what it's worth I use Maxrad 7603s antennas on my vehicles and at home and couldn't be happier. It's also the same antenna ISP and other StarCom agencies use

PCTEL MAX7603S 760-870 3 dB Antenna w/ Spring, Chrome | TESSCO

The antenna you mentioned (as well as this one) are not large at all - they're 14" - 16" tall. All you need is an appropriate mount and you're good to go!

Well thank you. This is the mount I ordered with it:Laird Technologies G8 0-1000 MHz, Mag Mount,12'cable,No Connector | TESSCO. I did notice that with the ISP 2014 cops cars.

Last edited:

hannac

Premium Subscriber
The PCTEL 7603 is also what I use on my car...if it's good enough for ISP, it's good enough for me. I have mine connected to my GRE PSR600 and does a nice job on the VHF systems as well.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Either the PCTel or Laird antennas are going to work similarly good or bad. Even though the Laird is rated for 806 and above it will receive just fine on 700. Your issue is going to be more with the mounting type and location.

A mag mount is not going to work nearly as well as a good NMO mount properly installed in the sheet metal of the vehicle. Drill the hole and stick an antenna on the mount and you instantly double or triple the reception range over a mag mount.

Place the antenna in the center of the roof for the ultimate range.

As for whether you will be able to hear specific towers or not depends on too many factors. I think you are in the Peoria area. so Champaign and Springfield are not out of the question unless you are in the river bottom. If you can't hear it from there drive up the bluffs and try it from there.

Either the PCTel or Laird antennas are going to work similarly good or bad. Even though the Laird is rated for 806 and above it will receive just fine on 700. Your issue is going to be more with the mounting type and location.

A mag mount is not going to work nearly as well as a good NMO mount properly installed in the sheet metal of the vehicle. Drill the hole and stick an antenna on the mount and you instantly double or triple the reception range over a mag mount.

Place the antenna in the center of the roof for the ultimate range.

As for whether you will be able to hear specific towers or not depends on too many factors. I think you are in the Peoria area. so Champaign and Springfield are not out of the question unless you are in the river bottom. If you can't hear it from there drive up the bluffs and try it from there.

I am up near the Mt.Hawely Airport in North Peoria. There is alot of skip up here.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Again, the actual model isn't going to make as much difference as the proper mounting, location and elevation, regardless of conditions. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference using a scanner, their signal meters are not calibrated so they are not really useful in determining minute differences.

Again, the actual model isn't going to make as much difference as the proper mounting, location and elevation, regardless of conditions. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference using a scanner, their signal meters are not calibrated so they are not really useful in determining minute differences.

I am using it as a base antenna in the house. Not for the car.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Same rules apply, Elevation is king and don't cheap out on the coax. Cheap RG58 will ruin your reception. Get some decent quad-shield RG59 meant for satellite dishes or some good LMR200 or 400 and put your antenna on the roof or at least in the attic. If you are using an NMO whip make sure you have a good ground plane.

Same rules apply, Elevation is king and don't cheap out on the coax. Cheap RG58 will ruin your reception. Get some decent quad-shield RG59 meant for satellite dishes or some good LMR200 or 400 and put your antenna on the roof or at least in the attic. If you are using an NMO whip make sure you have a good ground plane.

Is this antenna a NMO whip? I dont know what a NMO whip is. This is the mount I will be using:Laird Technologies G8 0-1000 MHz, Mag Mount,12'cable,No Connector | TESSCO.

That is a mobile mag-mount. It is crap for the car and worse for the home. If you are doing this at home you should be using a base antenna.

Try one of these:

Rooftop Wide-Band Antennas for Police Scanner Radios | ScannerMaster.com

The antenna that I have now the UHF works great with that mag mount. I used use the rubber duck commerical antennas. Before that I used to use the Radioshack antennas. Now I dont even use Radioshack antennas anymore. I gave one away.

Status
Not open for further replies.