• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Maxtrac 136-162, odd jumpers on logic board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otis413

So, just to experiment with, I ordered a 2ch 25w 136-162mhz Maxtrac 5pin ($10+s&h) with plans to convert it to 16ch (I have the parts) or buy a 800mhz Maxtrac w 16pin logic board ($7+s&h) and build a 32 ch radio.

This will be the first time I'v tried this so any tips would be appreciated.

I got the 2 ch radio today, (D33MJA73A5_K came programed w ch1-142.925 csq) works good but the tuning data sticker is missing from the RF board (any ideas how to work around that?) and it won't turn off (?) seems there is a jumper soldered across pins 5 and 6 on the (J8) connector to the front panel and another from the logic board to pin 9 (again, J8). 5&6 trace to the on/off switch (why would they do that?) but I'm not sure what the other jumper is for.. (?) it traces to the mic jack.

I'v been reading up on doing this on repeater-builder.com.

Any ideas or tips??

EDIT; Found the Tuning Data sticker, it was stuck on the side of the shield rather then the board itself! :)

Last edited:

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Without a tuning sticker you're kinda boned as you can't guess at the values, so good find that it is there.

Shorting the power switch is used whenever you don't want somebody snooping around and turning off your stuff by accident. Seen it used in SCADA radios, links, etc.

P8 pin 9 is not used. It goes to the mic jack, but on the radio side it's a dead end road. People use this to bring out logic signals or audio to the mic jack that ordinarily aren't there. Look on the radio side of P8 to see if there is a renegade jumper tying pin 9 to something.

Status
Not open for further replies.