• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Maxtrac Desktrac VHF repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8or91

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has any experience setting one of these up and how good they are. Looking at purchasing one just to increase the range of my radios around a mostly residential area.

Thanks

teufler

I have a GP300 repeater. A Motorola one that is similar. We use it at a Roadrally we have in southern Missouri. As in VHF Comms, height is a strong factor in range so from 150 agl, we get 35 miles range. Power output is 28 watts into a Hustler G4-144 antenna. The area is mostly hills, and heavy trees. The rocks have a high lead content. From a lower elevation, 20-30 feet, range will not be much more that radio to radio. If the radio antenna is in the middle, you will have increased range, over radio to radio contact.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has any experience setting one of these up and how good they are. Looking at purchasing one just to increase the range of my radios around a mostly residential area.

Thanks
What radio service are you using this for? If it is Part 90, the Maxtrac is not legal to use because it can not do narrowband (12.5 KHz bandwidth.)

A little more info about your setup would be helpful here.

Let me also be real clear here, I am not the radio police, but you do deserve to know the whole answer when you ask a question in this forum.

av8or91

Thanks for the response but mostly we use the radios for communications on large job sites but coverage is starting to wither as we move further apart so just looking for something that can give us a little more range at a reasonable cost.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Thanks for the response but mostly we use the radios for communications on large job sites but coverage is starting to wither as we move further apart so just looking for something that can give us a little more range at a reasonable cost.

What service will it be used under? A UHF Maxtrac repeater operating under GMRS rules would be ok.

teufler

Not sure where you are located but radio communication companies have repeaters already available. You subscribe for their service, and let them take care of it. Range will be greater than what you will be able to accomplish. Or use your present system and use cell phone to hop a thought to the other sites you are working at. I used to be with a radio company that had about 1500 towers across the us. We charged about $10-$15 per unit per month. Clients either bought radios from us, or rented from us.

RadioGuy7268

VHF repeaters in the business band are a little odd, but not impossible. Licensing is a little more involved than a plain UHF repeater. As SteveC mentioned, a VHF Desktrac is outdated, and won't do narrowband. You need narrowband if you want to have a legit & legal system. You probably would not find a radio shop willing to program a Desktrac to match your licensed frequencies.

My suggestion would be to find someone local to walk you through the necessary steps. Depending on your time frame, and your budget, getting licensed for a VHF repeater might be worthwhile, but you should probably be looking at more modern repeater equipment, and your first step would be to get licensed for the repeater.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.