• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Maxtrac/GM300 Digital audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

station32

Has anyone ever tried passing digital audio threw a maxtrac or gm300. Does it work what kind of modifications need to be done.
Thanks in advance,

mancow

Database Admin
What do you mean digital audio? Do you mean receiving flat audio to send to a device for some sort of decoding or passing it on to the modulator of another transmitter to repeat it?

station32

Yes sorry for the confusion can I take speaker audio or do I need discriminator audio trying to reapeat it what type of modifications need to be done if any thanks

jim202

Yes sorry for the confusion can I take speaker audio or do I need discriminator audio trying to reapeat it what type of modifications need to be done if any thanks

Bear in mind that both of those radios will have to be taken out of service by January 01, 2013 due to the narrow banding of the VHF and UHF bands.

With that said, are you trying to feed a public address sound system or trying to actually tie 2 radios together back to back for an actual repeater? If your looking at the 2 radio repeater operation, the first hurdle you need to get over is an FCC license for that type of operation. Then you will need some sort of controller to be able to have the time out timers available to prevent the package from locking up. Next the controller will need to be able to control the audio levels.

station32

I am completely aware of licensing and narrow banding i am not looking to put up an illegal repeater I just was going to try an experiment and was doing a little research before i started i have a controler. I was just seeing if i could use and speaker audio pin on the back or do i have to do modifications. I am just trying to pass digital on it.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Check out batlabs for more info. This topic has recently been brought back up, mainly focusing on the MSF5000 repeater. I think thepagergeek was the original poster there with the poor man's maxtrac digital repeater instructions.

I have done it and it works but it's not by any means perfect.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
There's also a seller on Ebay named mre1032 who offers a bunch of different cables for repeater hookups as well as other stuff. His auctions on the some of the Motorola repeater cables contain some pretty detailed info about programming the accessory pins and audio and such. (I am not recommending him, although he offers good stuff at decent prices, but more that he gives some tech info that some may find helpful.)

I do believe with the GM300 in particular that everything is right there, flat audio, etc. for what you want to do.

trumpetman

Database Admin

WB0VHB

Yes I have. You can use flat discriminator audio dumped to a flat transmitter input. A simple COS will turn the transmitter on for any signal present at the receiver. Dstar audio will work this way. Also any PL or DPL present on the receive signal will be passed on to the transmitter. Be aware that this works well with full quieting signals. Anything less and it is garbage in and garbage out.

I would not recommend this for trying to pass PL or DPL since that type of use really needs a full-blown repeater controller to regenerate the PL/DPL.

Do I recommend this type of "repeater"? No but in theory, it will work but really needs many refinements such as data regeneration and audio conditioning.

Randy
WB0VHB

Has anyone ever tried passing digital audio threw a maxtrac or gm300. Does it work what kind of modifications need to be done.
Thanks in advance,

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
where would you go to get the flat audio at a pin or is there some sort of modification needed?

Have you looked at the pin out charts for the 16 pin accessory connector on the radios that you are working with?

Pin 5 is flat TX audio input.
Pin 11 is RX audio output, type programmed by CPS.

Pin outs are available at batlabs or repeater builder. In fact, all the answers to the questions you've been asking are already there for the reading.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Have you looked at the pin out charts for the 16 pin accessory connector on the radios that you are working with?

Pin outs are available at batlabs or repeater builder. In fact, all the answers to the questions you've been asking are already there for the reading.

Pin 11 has a jumper on the board you have to move. Nothing in the CPS for it, at least on the GM300.

Tim

bertedmund67

I was wondering how to fix the pin #10 to enable the radio to power up. Any pointer is really appreciated. Thank you.

Bert

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I was wondering how to fix the pin #10 to enable the radio to power up. Any pointer is really appreciated. Thank you.

Bert

Pin 10 on the rear 20 pin connector?

That's the ignition switch circuit. You apply 12 volts DC to it and the radio will turn on if it's programmed for ignition sense. Take away the 12 volts DC and the radio powers off.

If you don't want it to do that, then you need to program the radio accordingly. You have a couple of options:
Using the CPS:
Under "Radio Configuration" "Accessory Configuration" tab, near the bottom you'll see the "Ignition Sense Type" field.
You have 4 options:
1. Disabled = The loss of ignition sense is ignored by the radio. The radio's power button is used to power-off the radio.
2. Follow Ignition Only = The loss of ignition sense powers off the radio. The radio's power button can NOT be used to power off the radio.
3. On/Off & Ignition = The loss of ignition sense powers off the radio. The radio's power button can also be used to power off the radio.
4. PTT Disable = The loss of ignition sense prevents the user from keying the radio with the PTT button. The radios power button is used to power off the radio.

If you have the correct version of CPS for that radio, then you can reprogram that setting to behave how you'd like. If you do not, purchase one of the 16 pin connector kits off e-Bay for ignition sense and connect it via a 2 or 3 amp fuse to the same power supply that runs your radio.

Edit:
Here's the part: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Se...d=120731063413&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
This guy is a good seller, I've purchased from him before.

Last edited:

bertedmund67

Hello there,
Much is appreciated regarding your comment. This is exactly what I am looking for. Recently got a punch of Maxtrac from Ebay and two of them acted dead. I had a feeling that there is a remedy to this problem. Thank you very much.

Bert

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Glad I could help.

The instructions I gave were actually for a CDM mobile using the Windows based CPS. The DOS RSS for the Maxtrac will be different, but it'll be worded the same.

bertedmund67

I bought a fleet of MaxTrac radios from Ebay about couple of weeks ago, two of them will not turn on, the advice I got was to supply power to pin#10 on the accessory pin from a 12vdc source. I did not understand at first, but now I do. Thank you

Bert

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
If we're still talking maxtracs/gm300s there is no programming for ignition sense. There is a little green fuse on the logic board back by the accessory connector that you remove to enable ignition sense. Of course if the fuse is blown by carelessness the radio will not turn on. The quick test is the 12 volts to pin 10. If that works either leave the lead on pin 10 or replace the fuse.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If we're still talking maxtracs/gm300s there is no programming for ignition sense. There is a little green fuse on the logic board back by the accessory connector that you remove to enable ignition sense. Of course if the fuse is blown by carelessness the radio will not turn on. The quick test is the 12 volts to pin 10. If that works either leave the lead on pin 10 or replace the fuse.

Thanks for that. It's been probably a decade or more since I programmed a GM300. I've got one sitting in my shop I've been thinking about setting up for APRS, and I've got the RSS, just haven't got the two together in the same place. Ignition sense will be part of that setup if I do it, so that's helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.