• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Maxtrac-Replacing a 5 pin logic board with a 16 Pin from a trunking radio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have a 16 Pin Logic board out of an 800Mhz Trunked Mactrac. I have a UHF Maxtrac with a 5 pin board. Can I use this 800MHz board?

16 pin board looks like an ordanary board.

I know these boards can be replaced with re entering the Tuning data but im just making sure of two things...
one that this 16 pin is an ordanary logic when its blanked and two, that i can replace a 5 pin with a 16 pin

zz0468

QRT
Banned
That depends on the logic board coming out of the 800 radio. I'm pretty sure there were some variations that were trunking only. There were some 800 radios that used the same logic board as some V/UHF radios. It should be relatively safe for the rest of the radio to try it. You might risk beating the 800 logic board senseless, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Are you sure it's an 800, and not a 900? A 900 logic board would require a firmware change, my understanding is that not all 800 logic boards do.

Study up on the Maxtrac sections on Batlabs and Repeater Builder. Don't expect the tuning values to be valid with a different logic board, but lacking any test equipment, it's a reasonable place to start.

ronenp

it can be done

You will need to Get a Codeplug for the 16Pin for UHF
you will need an Eprom with Correct Firmware for the UHF instead of the 800 MHZ
and then you can do it
Good Luck
Ronen - 4Z4ZQ
Ronen Pinchooks (4Z4ZQ) WebSite

drdog

16 pin Maxtrac

You do not need a codeplug, just the right eeprom chip (27C256 or 27C512) with the right stuff on it, and you have to move one or two jumpers on the board. I have done over a hundred of them back in the days. You need to remove the rf board and install the logic board first, then reinstall the rf board. then you blank the board. and create a codeplug with the latest maxtrac software. Of course tuning will be necessary. I have never run across a 16 pin 800 logic board that did not work. 900 Mhz logic board is totally different, don't even waste your time trying to make a 900 logic board work.

This may be 900. not sure for a fact. but the logic board looks as its completely Identical to a regular one.

The one difference (That I see) is it that it had verson 80.06 printed on the Chip. (Chip also says FRN4007B)

In theroy, Replacing the chip or if i could install the right version on the chip (If Possible), it should work. Along with Blanking and re tuning.

drdog

Maxtrac

The board is a 900 Mhz trunking and will not work. the chip is the correct one but you should be able to find one closer than Israel for half the price. (surplus 27C256 or 27C512 chips can be found for as low as 50 cents each) . and geting one loaded with the firmware should be no big deal. I can do them as soon as I find a replacement 486 / 25 Mhz laptop computer to put my old hard drive into.

For a controller board, I have not checked, but I think you should be able to find a 800 16 pin maxtrac on fleaBay for $20 - $25 which is a fair price. I have found them at flea markets for as low as $5 each!!!

So If I Get that chip (finding one cheaper of course) and replace it on the logic board, then load new firmware it should work in a conventional UHF Radio?

doesnt the chip from ebay have firmware on it already?

Last edited:

drdog

Maxtrac 16 pin

No, If you get a surplus EEprom chip: first you erase it, then you load the UHF/VHF firmware onto it with a eeprom programmer. Then you put the chip in a 16 pin 800 Mhz logic board. Then you remove the RF board so you can install the logic board first. Once you have the radio back togather you blank the board. (I always blanked the board and saved tune data). Then you create a 16 pin high signal codeplug and load it into the radio. If you do not have the tools to make a 16 pin 32 channel eeprom that is ready to go I can send you one for FREE if you cover postage. ( that is if board rules allow this) If not then Admins. please delete the last couple sentences, as my new posts are still being audited by you guys...

drdog

Chip

I missed your second question, yes the ebay chip has the firmware on it. I'm sure that someone here can send you a copy of the firmware if you have the eeprom programmer to do the 27C256 type chips. That is when it pays off. I purchased about a hundred 27C256 eeproms at a hamfest for a few bucks. then as I needed them I would just erase and load up about ten or twenty at a time. So I still have a few that are loaded and ready to go. The easiest way to do it is just have a chip around that you can read and clone from whenever you run across a maxtrac to upgrade.

jim202

Don't know why you guys are making this so hard. I have taken a regular 800 trunking control board and replaced it into the VHF or UHF radio. Make sure you reload the codeplug back into the radio via a clone process. All should be well after you get the serial number where it should be.

drdog

Jim202, have you ever tried this? I tried to make a 800 Mhz A6 Type II Trunking radio back in the days and I had to clone from another radio, just cloning the codeplug did not work. so he still needs a 16 pin radio or codeplug to clone, and a 800 Mhz logic board. plus many of the 800 radios had chips that would write only once.

But anyways he has a 900 Mhz logic board and that will not work.

WX9EMS

900 Mhz logic board has different circuitry than any other 16 pin, Hear-Clear module is one difference; which is only compatible with 900 Maxtracs from what I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.