Maxwell AFB

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcoleman

I've just upgraded to the new GRE PSR-500. Looking at the database for Maxwell, I see a note that the radios for this system are DES capable. I take that to mean that even with this scanner, I'll not be able to hear comms from this system.

Any of the other users have this radio? Can you monitor MAFB, if so are there any tricks to programming the system in the radio.

Also was doing a limit search the other night in the milcom range 225-400 mHz, does anyone know of a milcom trunked P25 system(380-400 mhz) in the area?

Thanks,
Keith

SAR923

Maxwell operates a P25 system that's DES capable but it's in the clear most of the time. Just load it in as it's laid out in the database, no special tricks needed.

I'm not aware of any 380-400 P25 systems in the area but it may be another federal agency like the DEA or the FBI. I think the Federal Protective Services cops are also moving to this range.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Actually to load a UHF system into the PSR500/600 there is a trick or the system will not scan. In addition to the base, offset and step needed in scanners like the PRO 96 or the 396 the 500 requires the 'threshold' values to be entered.

These are the TYPICAL, I repeat TYPICAL values for many of the DOD UHF systems. I provided this for the Langley AFB system.

The GRE PSR-500 scanner requires these LO-chan/HI-chan values:
LO-chan 380
HI-chan 759

There have been several threads on the use of the threshold values right after the 500 came out last year (anytime after Oct 07). Search the GRE forum for more info if you need it.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
kcoleman said:
I've just upgraded to the new GRE PSR-500.

Congrats on the new scanner. I've had my PSR-500, since November, and its become my favorite scanner.

I've got a .bin file for the Montgomery area. If you would like a copy, PM me your email address.

Take care,

Warren

kcoleman

LEH said:
Actually to load a UHF system into the PSR500/600 there is a trick or the system will not scan. In addition to the base, offset and step needed in scanners like the PRO 96 or the 396 the 500 requires the 'threshold' values to be entered.

These are the TYPICAL, I repeat TYPICAL values for many of the DOD UHF systems. I provided this for the Langley AFB system.

The GRE PSR-500 scanner requires these LO-chan/HI-chan values:
LO-chan 380
HI-chan 759

There have been several threads on the use of the threshold values right after the 500 came out last year (anytime after Oct 07). Search the GRE forum for more info if you need it.

LEH,

Thanks for the tip. I set the HI and LO as per your suggestion along with the offset and base frequency. So far I've not gotten any hits on the system, but I'm about 30 miles or more away from the base, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to hear this system from home. I may have to wait until I have to go into Montgomery to see if I have it set up correctly.

I'll add... that as the scanner scans the Maxwell system, the strength meter does indicate a signal of 3-4 bars, this tells me that I am getting something from the CC but I assume the "T" would appear for Trunked, if I am actually getting a signal from that system.

I'll continue to try.....
Keith

kcoleman

wwhitby said:
Congrats on the new scanner. I've had my PSR-500, since November, and its become my favorite scanner.

Thanks Warren.

This is definitely a very good scanner and it is not near as hard to program as I imagined. Once all is said and done this radio will probably be the one that I take everywhere with me.

Thanks again,

SAR923

Tallassee is a far piece to get the Maxwell system on the stock antenna. I get them fine from Prattville but I'm using a Pro-96 to an RS 20-176 ground plane in the attic that's probably about 20 feet above the ground. Use the file you get from Warren since I'm sure he'll have it programmed in correctly. I kind of know that because I'm using his Pro-96 file for the Montgomery area. :)

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Keith,

I live about five air miles from Langley AFB and I get them fine, but a friend who lives about ten miles doesn't even know they are on the air. So thirty miles is probably not going to work for you.

You can test whether the radio is receiving anything (the bars on the 500 while scanning are about worthless IMHO) by manually stopping the scanner, going to one of the frequencies in the Maxwell list and pressing the TSYS button then the Analyz button. Go through each entered control channel to see if you have any response.

If you are receiving them, you'll see the system information and hear the CC motorboat.

kcoleman

SAR2401 said:
Tallassee is a far piece to get the Maxwell system on the stock antenna. I get them fine from Prattville but I'm using a Pro-96 to an RS 20-176 ground plane in the attic that's probably about 20 feet above the ground. Use the file you get from Warren since I'm sure he'll have it programmed in correctly. I kind of know that because I'm using his Pro-96 file for the Montgomery area. :)

Hi Jim,

I agree Tallasse is a pretty far piece from Maxwell. What my hopes were is that since I can pick up Montgomery's trunked system from here, that I might get lucky and be able to hear Maxwell. Now I do realize that Montgomery has several towers around the city and are probably putting out more power than the base. I too have an antenna about 25 feet high. Thanks for your inputs.

Keith

kcoleman

LEH said:
Keith,

by manually stopping the scanner, going to one of the frequencies in the Maxwell list and pressing the TSYS button then the Analyze button. Go through each entered control channel to see if you have any response.

If you are receiving them, you'll see the system information and hear the CC motorboat.

LEH,

I first connected to my Scantenna, then did as you suggested. I did hear the motorboat sound on the CC, however, there was no data displayed for the system.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.