May Be Quitting The Hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
EDACs officially is EOL at the end of this year. What is likely going on is that you are in the middle of watching a migration to P25. Radios such as Orions, Panthers and Jaguars are being upgraded to M/P7000 series (or other) radios which still support EDACS to some extent (perhaps the licensing is cheaper to option ProVoice only support versus analog on the subscribers) but are also ready for a P25 cut-over.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
If you can afford a $30 SDR and a DSDPlus Fast Lane subscription, you can get into the wild world of computer based scanning (unless you are a MacPerson). Unitrunker (free) and DSDPlus FL gives you Provoice and P25P2 trunktracking.

chris
This is a really good idea. An SDR dongle can be had for $20. The software is free. The learning curve is relatively shallow, and for someone who wants to explore what's out there in digital modes to be heard, it's an excellent way to go. For $20, I can monitor control channels, listen to P25 conventional and trunked, amateur DMR, decode paging transmissions, ADSB, conventional FM, aircraft, military aircraft, etc. etc. etc.

If you can't afford $20, you have much more serious problems to think about.
So scanaholic, you have gotten quite a response here in support of your dilemma.

Again, I feel for you and although I do okay being semi-retired I do watch my budget and put a name on every dollar

All of us in the hobby here really want to be able to hear what's going on right where we sit whether it be police and fire or just fire we want to know what goes on in our own neighborhood.

These suggestions I quoted are your best bet, I like the idea of the metal detector but if you can go out and buy one of those then you might as well just get a used ProVoice capable radio LOL. You have made it very clear that both of those would be out of the question and you are indeed, in dire straights, I appreciate your candidness in revealing your situation.

I know if I was in that situation I would get rid of my cable TV that maybe you have done and then I would get rid of Internet service and rely on my phone for access to the internet. I don't have a landline anymore so the phone is essential.

As cg and zz describe, computer-based scanning is your answer rather than abandoning your hobby which is in all of our blood, including yours.

The big question here is do you pay for internet service? Not really a silly question because you're posting here but maybe you are using your phone or have very limited gigabyte service.

I know a guy who does his own private streaming service who has SDR dongles all over the place. Maybe someone could even donate one to you provided you have adequate internet service and a good computer.

Just thinking out loud here.

fasteddy64

The fire and police department are switching over to XL-200 portables, leaving the city with about 350 surplus XG-75 portables to pass down to other city agencies. For whatever reason the zoo has switched over to provoivce. I have no idea why.

iamhere300

So what is P25 available in the Abilene area, or analog? Taylor county? About all I am hearing is Vfire21, TFS, and some ambulance service. I have an SDS100 and downloaded database from here. I also sometimes here some stuff at Dyess. Mainly interested in Fire and interops

iamhere300

Even better does anyone have an archive for the SDS100 they would be willing to share for this area? Deployed down here for the wildfires

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Discriminator taps are free and let you monitor ProVoice, P25, DMR, NXDN, ...
And require some skill soldering, wiring, knowing how to do an proper stripping and so forth of the audio cable, and that you have the right audio input on your puter. Sometimes an microphone jack will work, sometimes you have to have separate audio in jack. Also, some scanners are not simple to tap.

ecps92

Best to request the MODS to move this to it's own thread vs hijacking , since the OP's topic of Leaving the Hobby won't garner postings to assist you in updated the DB info
So what is P25 available in the Abilene area, or analog? Taylor county? About all I am hearing is Vfire21, TFS, and some ambulance service. I have an SDS100 and downloaded database from here. I also sometimes here some stuff at Dyess. Mainly interested in Fire and interops

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Why would a locality switch to ProVoice now? It is end of life for that digital mode.

Harris is dual mode. P25 1/II and Edacs.

If you have a infrastructure already and it is in top shape and you have the spare hardware you bought for future issues why not use it?

I'd imagine like Las Cruces NM they bought and planned way ahead for spare controllers, repeaters, mobiles and portables and so on thus the system is 100 percent so they continue to maintain it.

I don't think it is a bad idea they are doing this arena getting full use out of hardware and its features.

One must expect in a hobby of radio communications it can change from analog to digital withe snap of a finger or worse which you know the worse part. This has to be expected in this age.

slicerwizard

And require some skill soldering, wiring, knowing how to do an proper stripping and so forth of the audio cable, and that you have the right audio input on your puter. Sometimes an microphone jack will work, sometimes you have to have separate audio in jack. Also, some scanners are not simple to tap.
I applaud your can't do attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.