Mayo one frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatgreen

I programed my scanner from radio reference win 500 and the frequency #sdo not work to receive helicopter and base mayo one.I live in Olmsted county and do not hear them at all.The #s they show to put in scanner are155.400 130.075. Maybe they have changed? Can anyone help me out . Any help would be great.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
They and the other medical helicopters generally use the S-Tacs for landing scenes

blue5011

This is as good a time as any to post a question I have had:
How does Mayo One (TG 27119) keep from "keying up" every ARMER site across the state while they are airborne?

A vehicle or HT is only going to bring up a tower site w/ in "line-of-site". Well when an aircraft is at altitude, wouldn't it bring up everything w/ in a 50 mile radius?

johnmoe1

Like everything, ARMER has a standard for this:
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ecn/programs/armer/Documents/Standards/standard1130.pdf

A radio is only affiliated with one site at a time. Adjacent sites do not use the same frequencies. Hopefully when frequencies are reused (in non-adjacent sites) they are using different NACs which might prevent audio from going out on the wrong talkgroup, but will still possibly prevent someone else from transmitting. Helicopter radios are limited to 1 watt according to the pdf.

Even radios on the ground hear multiple sites. I hear 8 sites with less than a 2.5% BER (using the standard given in the pdf file) from my bedroom.

blue5011

"A radio is only affiliated with one site at a time."

Ah, yes, I never put *2 + 2* to come up w/ the answer myself. I was just "assuming" the ARMER system was acting as a simple ham radio repeater... And of course the system would force the aircraft to affiliate to only a nearby site.

"Even radios on the ground hear multiple sites. I hear 8 sites with less than a 2.5% BER (using the standard given in the pdf file) from my bedroom."

I figured that too, as I can hear ten different sites at times.

Thanks, I knew someone had the answer I was looking for!

MPSMP

Has anyone ever monitored Mayo one in the metro area on their talkgroups? not including the statewide ones.. Also LL8 seems to be 2153 not the talkgroup listed on the rr database. 2121 Anoka seems to be LL4 if someone wants to add that to the database..

blue5011

Just heard an interesting conversation (9:21:22PM). It involved a LL3 helo operating in St Louis County they were using "ST S TAC 1", TG 6.

Seems a waste of resources for something happening in the north part of the state being broadcast to the southern part of the state...

mmtstc

Ø
Just heard an interesting conversation (9:21:22PM). It involved a LL3 helo operating in St Louis County they were using "ST S TAC 1", TG 6.

Seems a waste of resources for something happening in the north part of the state being broadcast to the southern part of the state...

Statewide talkgroups are so that radios from different zones can talk to each other. Since helicopters come from near and far, they assume they are coming from a different radio region and don't have the region talkgroup so they always, by standard, use statewide.

The statewide talkgroups don't broadcast on every single site all the time. They only broadcast on sites where there is a radio selected to that talkgroup and since no one dispatches on statewide, you don't typically hear an incident in thief river falls in the metro. Just having statewides in your scan list does not make a talkgroup get broadcast on your site.
That being said, word travels fast, so you may have bored police officers or Paramedics listening to a helicopter or high speed chase at 3 in the morning (firefighters are typical safely tucked in bed at that time).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue5011

Statewide talkgroups are so that radios from different zones can talk to each other. Since helicopters come from near and far, they assume they are coming from a different radio region and don't have the region talkgroup so they always, by standard, use statewide.
I understand it the ST S TAC 1 is a statewide group and LifeLink 3 helo's do fly in my area.

But surely there is a computer/ server somewhere not making a good use of resources. Or possibly the "regional power that be" (local dispatcher) could have assigned a local TAC channel? And I have heard my very own 911 dispatcher assigning ST S TAC 1 for incidents in my area.

I am glad we have ARMER, very robust and for the most part well thought out. Considering what other states have done, MN did this radio communication "thingy" right.

Just don't see a need for a tower site by the Iowa border, to carry a conversation located in St Louis County.

Status
Not open for further replies.