Mazda6 BCD996

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimab

Just installed a BCD996 with an Austin Spectra in my '04 Mazda6 v6
Placed the scanner where the dash try was. The door that covers the scanner is (was) spring loaded that popped up when the front button was pressed. Now I have it resting on the scanner with some foam underneath. Didn't get any actual install pictures, got lazy to run in the house and get the camera.
This will change once the Uniden Remote Head comes out. So this is "long term temporary".
Antenna is mounted using a Diamond NMO mount on the trunk lid and the wires are run under the molding to the front.
Powers on/off with the ignition.
I always find I want more pictures of other installs, so here are plenty:

Back of the car with the Austin
IMGP7398.jpg

Another angle:
IMGP7400.jpg

One more for good measure:
IMGP7401.jpg

Inside from the passengers seat:
IMGP7411.jpg

Wide Angle:
IMGP7415.jpg

Outside Antenna:
IMGP7417.jpg

Close Up (added some clear screen protector so the paint doesn't get messed up under the rubber):
IMGP7421.jpg

dimab

Cont'd

Drivers View:
IMGP7422.jpg

Drivers View #2:
IMGP7423.jpg

Console:
IMGP7425.jpg

Close Up #2:
IMGP7427.jpg

Green with Envy:
IMGP7434.jpg

Outside View #2:
IMGP7441.jpg

commscanaus

Great looking car those Mazda 6- and the color you have chosen is awesome.
I must say I really dislike the all in one consoles that seem to be in most new cars.
You really are limited for choice if you want a better stereo system.
The remote head will go great in your case- but for now your install looks great.

Commscanaus.

trunkve

slimlighter

Nice install, nice car, nice orange color.
I see a whelen slimlighter over the mirror, are you fire or ems responder? ;)

dimab

trunkve said:
Nice install, nice car, nice orange color.
I see a whelen slimlighter over the mirror, are you fire or ems responder? ;)
:cool: we run both fire and ems

scanjunkie

That is a great car and great temp install. I have a similar storage compartment in my Nissan Sentra and have had a scanner or two sitting in it before. The remote head sure will be nice!!

tnf

couple of questions. first, where does the audio come out. and second, could you link me to your antenna and the mount you used? i am looking to get a trunk lip mount antenna, and have only found the firestik scanner antenna with the corresponding trunk mount. thanks! -tnf

RBMTS

I'd be curious how you like the Austin Spectra antenna. I've been thinking of getting one. Does it perform well for you? Can you comment on how it works at 800Mhz? Many wide band antenna's I have tried seem to be marginal at 800. Thanks

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Now I know where that compartment in my car came from! I have a 2006 Ford Fusion which is a based on the Mazda 6. The Fusion is slightly wider and longer.

I put my 996T in the same place but leave the door open. I am tall enough that the opened door does not block my vision. I would like to better secure the radio as it will fly off the dash during an accident.

Do you do anything to secure the radio? How is power routed to the radio? I was thinking of putting a power point in my compartment.

Have you found a good way to go through the firewall to connect up to the battery? I can not seem to figure out a good path.

73 Eric

dimab

tnf said:
couple of questions. first, where does the audio come out. and second, could you link me to your antenna and the mount you used? i am looking to get a trunk lip mount antenna, and have only found the firestik scanner antenna with the corresponding trunk mount. thanks! -tnf
1. audio comes out from the bottom of the scanner, and plenty loud for me. I have been thinking of getting an external powered speaker for clearer audio
2. http://www.rfwiz.com/AustinAntenna/AustinAntennaSpectra.htm
mount - http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/4032.html

awesome mount!

dimab

RBMTS said:
I'd be curious how you like the Austin Spectra antenna. I've been thinking of getting one. Does it perform well for you? Can you comment on how it works at 800Mhz? Many wide band antenna's I have tried seem to be marginal at 800. Thanks
after some opinions online and in store, this is supposed to be the cats ass.
works well. again that really depends on terrain and where I drive.
the CT state PD is 800 digital, works pretty well.
my local PD is 800 and works GREAT far and near, but thats also due to a 1000' + tower on top of a mountain.

i listen to all bands, so I find this to be the best multiband solution. can never get 100% with multiband.

dimab

EricCottrell said:
Do you do anything to secure the radio? How is power routed to the radio? I was thinking of putting a power point in my compartment.
Have you found a good way to go through the firewall to connect up to the battery? I can not seem to figure out a good path.
73 Eric
I had to cut the back of tray area to get the radio to fit all the way in, so it's sitting pretty far in there. does not move.
power runs out the gaping back hole of the tray, down behind the glove compartment. if I didn't cut the back out, you'd be hard pressed to route the wires out of the way!
I did not go to the battery b/c the scanner requires so little power - I taped into the cigarette lighter power behind the dash, and split it with a few 12v plugs.

oritpro

Beautiful car, love the color! I have, er... I mean the wife has a 99-626 LX and it scoots along pretty nice. I can just imagine how yours drives with the extra horsepower.

Someday, when the budget allows, I am going to get me one of those 996's for my pickup.

dimab

pathalogical said:
Looks neat. Can you tuck the radio all the way in to keep the radio out of sight ?
unfortunately no. there is HVAC ducting behind the tray area, and the scanner is already bumping into that.
I am toying with the idea of the remote head, which would allow me to set it back further inside the tray and be able to close it. BUT at $199.99 for the head, i think it's too steep.

SCPD

QRT
kinda off

kinda off the topic but how do you like the whelen im thinking of getting the same 1

trunkve

base model

Hello dimab.

Is your antenna base a
Diamond K412SNMO?

I have a subaru impreza 2007
and I am looking for a similar base for my car.
Thanks. :D

dimab

lakekid313 said:
kinda off the topic but how do you like the whelen im thinking of getting the same 1
very bright and very out of the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.