MBTA And Terror Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
This is interesting.....IIRC the "T" is in the process of implementing a system from MA/COM, open sky I think? Gee, I think I'll sit back and see how well interoperability works once this is up and running.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
junior17172003 said:
This is interesting.....IIRC the "T" is in the process of implementing a system from MA/COM, open sky I think? Gee, I think I'll sit back and see how well interoperability works once this is up and running.
Hello,

It is EDACS ProVoice using the new extended addressing feature so a scanner can not trunktrack it.

73 Eric

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
My mistake. Still, how will this improve interoperability? Who will be able to talk to them, and how will they be able to talk to Boston PD/FD, or area Departments?

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
There are alot of things going on, including adding infrasturcture to accomodate interop frequencies and responding agencies frequencies into the tunnels and patachable into the Ts system.

ctrabs74

EricCottrell said:
It is EDACS ProVoice using the new extended addressing feature so a scanner can not trunktrack it.

Figures that the T would go with ProVoice. They're not exactly the most honest branch of state government (or at least they weren't when I was living in New England about 10 years ago - though I think the Turnpike Authority has probably surpassed the T in terms of secrecy by now). I don't understand why the T didn't simply try to get space on the Mass. State Police trunked system instead of going ProVoice...

garys

Premium Subscriber
ctrabs74 said:
Figures that the T would go with ProVoice. They're not exactly the most honest branch of state government (or at least they weren't when I was living in New England about 10 years ago - though I think the Turnpike Authority has probably surpassed the T in terms of secrecy by now). I don't understand why the T didn't simply try to get space on the Mass. State Police trunked system instead of going ProVoice...

I'm not sure what, if anything honesty of lack thereof has to do with it. As I recall, the MA-Comm was the low bidder for all phases of the project.

I don't think there is enough capacity on the MSP system at this point to host an agency as big at the T. They would still have to build the extensive underground radio system no matter what they did.

There are a few people who wonder why they didn't take their fairly large list of UHF frequencies and build a UHF trunk system. Then again, there is a long list of agencies waiting for those frequencies to become available.

Gary

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

It is likely the same old "800 is modern, 800 is the place to be" hype that radio system salesman have been saying for years. There were comments by some T offical that the stranglehold of Motorola has been broken so it seems Motorola was not favored.

The system is taking so long to implement that MA/COM released a P25 product which would be a better interop system. It took over a year after purchase to tender and select the installer of the system. The equipment was purchased around 2003 and installation is still going on. I figure it will be 2008 or 2009 before it is up and running.

73 Eric

garys

Premium Subscriber
EricCottrell said:
Hello,

The equipment was purchased around 2003 and installation is still going on. I figure it will be 2008 or 2009 before it is up and running.

73 Eric

YOU sir, are an optomist! <G>

Gary

ctrabs74

EricCottrell said:
The system is taking so long to implement that MA/COM released a P25 product which would be a better interop system. It took over a year after purchase to tender and select the installer of the system. The equipment was purchased around 2003 and installation is still going on. I figure it will be 2008 or 2009 before it is up and running.

Are we talking about the "normal" calendar, or the "Massachusetts political calendar" which automatically adds about 3-4 years to the completion date of any major capital project?

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
If it turns into the communications version of The Big Dig, well,......Enough said!

Status
Not open for further replies.