MCAS Beaufort

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpalmer

Hi all,

Radio comms for the Marine Corp Air Station Beaufort (SC) seem to be changing. I am refering to housekepping comms, such as MP's, Haz materials, carpenters and electricians and such.

I am not sure exactly what is changing, but it appears that a trunked system of some sort is going in.

What I have found is that the MP's (PMO) have gone from a radio to radio system on 138.600, to what appears to be a repeater on 138.600.

I think I found a handshake (data) type signal in the 150MHz area.

Lot of little things, for freqs then before, Towers comms on a VHF freq (it may be a variation on the old Crash Fire Rescue listen in to tower. More VHF freqs in use. Audio changes. But not the stilted PMO dispatchers. At least they use the same ten codes that Beaufort County uses

So if anyone listening here, we could use help in trying to pin this down

drsouth

Funny that you mention that, I went on a trip last saturday down towards your neck of the swamp, and overheard some trunking in the VHF area, but because of the tree and power line that feel in front of my truck on Hwy21, I didn't get a whole lot of scan time in.

I would like to say though, that I did overhear what I believe to have been Shaw AFB trunked on 163.4625 as an APCO25 system a few nights ago (after one of our evening showers).

I don't get the Jasper/Chattam/Beaufort areas in consistently up here in Summerville, but I'll be listening in a little closer from hear on out.

Thanks for the find!

David

bpalmer

D.
This is just lovely trying to figure this out.
I have upwards of six or seven freq's I have an ID on for MCAS Bft. Over time they have changed. The big difference is they now are on repeaters

I am very close to the base, inside five miles,but I am having trouble hearing them, even with an outside antenna.

As to the other systems, the nearest towers to you are: Beaufort County has a two hundred foot or so tower in Gardens Corner, Jasper County uses the Yemassee Palmetto 800 tower, upwards of 400 feet. Chataham County/Savannah is difficult even in Beaufort unless you have wide open space. Their main tower is by the old K Mart on Victory drive, with a couple other towers in the area.

Thanks for any help.
Gaffer

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
bpalmer said:
D.
This is just lovely trying to figure this out.
I have upwards of six or seven freq's I have an ID on for MCAS Bft. Over time they have changed. The big difference is they now are on repeaters

I am very close to the base, inside five miles,but I am having trouble hearing them, even with an outside antenna.

As to the other systems, the nearest towers to you are: Beaufort County has a two hundred foot or so tower in Gardens Corner, Jasper County uses the Yemassee Palmetto 800 tower, upwards of 400 feet. Chataham County/Savannah is difficult even in Beaufort unless you have wide open space. Their main tower is by the old K Mart on Victory drive, with a couple other towers in the area.

Thanks for any help.
Gaffer

Might have to catch up with ya when I head down that way over the fall bpalmer...my family has a Beach House on Harbor Island and I am going to be heading down there before winter....might have to do lunch and talk radio stuff!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.