• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MCC 7500 Console Fire Paging Setup

zrcook

Hi all! I'm new here but looking for some help. I hope I'm posting this in the correct spot. My dispatch center utilizes the MCC 7500 and we are trying to figure out how to set up 2 tone paging for our fire department. As of now we simply use the alert tones built into the system but are trying to move away from that. Would we need to have the quickcall module for the MCC 7500 (if that even exists)? We are on a trunked P25 system. If anyone has any answers it would be greatly appreciated!

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
You really really need to ask this question to the system administrator/radio service provider/authorized technician for your console.
Way too many times a tech is called out for a "problem" only to find out someone tried to modify something on their own but didn't tell the tech, only to rack up several hours of labor.

crazyboy

You really really need to ask this question to the system administrator/radio service provider/authorized technician for your console.
Way too many times a tech is called out for a "problem" only to find out someone tried to modify something on their own but didn't tell the tech, only to rack up several hours of labor.

This, especially since PM changes are needed.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
You need a proficient system admin / technician to properly set that up. The MCC7500 is not for experimenters.

Ditto on that. If you're trying to page manually, Motorola has an inexplicably peculiar hex scheme for determining the two tones that will be sent (for example, entering something like 1e71 will send two specific tones, while 1e7h will send something completely different. This oddball scheme is a holdover from the Centracom Gold Elite.

Best to have a properly trained tech set it up so that a quick-access button can be created for each pair of tones and transmitter pre-select that's needed.

PACNWDude

+1 for getting the system administrator/technician involved, Provisioning Manager (look for three green light's - bad Star Trek type of joke with my crew there), able to access and edit via Elite Admin, and logged in as astrousr or equivalent to make changes is not for the curious.

We just moved to MCC7550e consoles, and little things are different from the older MCC7550 dispatch consoles.....different enough to be annoying. Might be wise to have the local Motorola Service Tech handy as well unless you want SZ$ popping up on the console resources, or odd audio indicators within those console resources flashing.

xmo

First, see if you can send a page manually. The procedure is explained in the MCC7500 user' Guide.

Sending a Standard Page (Manually)

Procedure:
1 From the toolbar, select the Standard Page button.
2 In the Standard Page dialog box, select the Manual tab.
3 the Manual tab, in the text box, enter a <Pager ID>.
4 Perform the following actions:
a From the Format drop-down list, select the paging format.
b From the Resource drop-down list, select the paging resource.
c From the Frequency drop-down list, select the paging frequency.

If any of that is unclear or you don't have the answers to fill in the fields - you have confirmed the need for technical assistance.

zrcook

Thank you all for your replies! So I likely should have clarified, I will not be doing this myself. I am working our system admin and comm guys to figure this out as well as our Motorola rep. They have never heard of fire tones and so they are a bit confused. They thought I was just talking about the alert tones and their suggestion was to just change the audio file for these but that is not the solution we are wanting to use. I guess my basic question would be if we need another piece of software or a module in order to use this function? All of our portables and mobiles have the Quick call II module. Thank you all very much for your help!

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
Thank you all for your replies! So I likely should have clarified, I will not be doing this myself. I am working our system admin and comm guys to figure this out as well as our Motorola rep. They have never heard of fire tones and so they are a bit confused. They thought I was just talking about the alert tones and their suggestion was to just change the audio file for these but that is not the solution we are wanting to use. I guess my basic question would be if we need another piece of software or a module in order to use this function? All of our portables and mobiles have the Quick call II module. Thank you all very much for your help!

I suggest you get new “comm guys”. :p

xmo

KevinC wrote: I suggest you get new “comm guys”
Agree 100%

You don' need to add any software or "modules" to the system. Paging has been a console feature for decades.

Assuming you have a record of the QC-II tones that are programmed into your portables and mobiles, a proper "comm guy" translates them into the console 'Pager ID'

Then you sit at the console and send the page manually. Once you have verified the ID, format, resource, and channel, a proper "comm guy" can add paging resources to a desired configuration folder.

Then, all the dispatcher has to do to alert you is click on a Quick-page 'button'

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
KevinC wrote: I suggest you get new “comm guys”
Agree 100%

You don' need to add any software or "modules" to the system. Paging has been a console feature for decades.

Assuming you have a record of the QC-II tones that are programmed into your portables and mobiles, a proper "comm guy" translates them into the console 'Pager ID'

Then you sit at the console and send the page manually. Once you have verified the ID, format, resource, and channel, a proper "comm guy" can add paging resources to a desired configuration folder.

Then, all the dispatcher has to do to alert you is click on a Quick-page 'button'

There is a spreadsheet out there (pretty sure I got it from Motorola) which allows you to select two different QC2 tones, and the spreadsheet will spit out the proper hex code for the console to generate the correct tones. I'd attach the spreadsheet file to this message, but I can't find it.

Contact your Motorola service rep and/or system technologist and ask for a copy of it; since the 7100 and 7500 consoles still use that same format to manually send tones, the spreadsheet has to be floating around up in Schaumburg somewhere. And you'll need those hex codes to set up paging pre-select buttons on the console (minimum necessary info is the hex code, and the name of the resource(s) you want to route the tones to).

I'll concur with everybody else, though; if your 'comm guys' have no idea what fire tones are, you need new comm guys. Two-tone paging is part of the Land Mobile Radio 101 course; any tech out in the field should know what it is.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
I suggest you get new “comm guys”. :p

Funny! (Unfortunately not off base)

As others have referenced, doing this right is not for the meek. For system admins, this is/should be within their ability. BUT the 1st thing YOU need to do is define what are the goals of your dept. (End user and Console) A well thought out paging template accounts for paging/alerting (Examples below)

All individual shifts.

Admin staff groups (EX Batt chiefs, Lieutenants, etc)

Other individual groups (EX Hazmat, Water Rescue, etc)

Do you want to alert specific fire stations?

ALL CALL

Other considerations. Will you be paging/alert over a conventional analog system, P25 conventional, P25 trunked? (You mentioned you are on trunked system, but many fire departments leverage both conventional and trunked when dealing with alerting and voice needs)

What type of device are you expecting to alert? LMR Radio? Tone and Voice pager? Station alert? (Or combinations)

Etc., etc,

Your dispatch center "could" do this without Provisioning Manager. (IE Manual Page), but I guarantee your center will hate this. From a console perspective, your end goal should be single button paging. (Individual and/or group)