McDill AFB area in MAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikec71

I am going to be in the Tampa area in May and was wondering if there is any trafic that you can hear in the area? I am taking my 12 year old nephew and was hoping to be able to let him listen to somthing.

Thanks

lotsofradios

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What kind of traffic you looking for? There is much milair traffic in the area. I was just doing some searches on milaircomms.com and there are a few that will help you.
Military Comms Search Airport Frequencies

There are some milair spotters in the MacDill AFB/Tamp area and here is what they have recently been hearing.
Military Comms Monitoring. Frequency Log Search by Zipcode

You will be close to Avon Park Range. That is fairly busy, here is some info on that.
Military Comms Avon Park Range Information & Frequencies

I live in Ormond Beach, FL which is about 120 miles northeast of MacDill and I hear many planes calling MacDill Command Post 311.0 mhz. I hear Avon Park well up here too. You should have no problem hearing some milair stuff while there.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Like what lotsofradios has already said you'll be close to Avon Bombing Range most of the time I always hear Pirate 25 talking. Also if your in to Federal listening take a listen to CBP Boarder Patrol 165.2375 pl 100hz they come in great from Orlando.

mikec71

That is great information. I will be in Orlando with the kids, and we were going to see the Gulf near McDill one day. All of your recomendations will be of a great help.

lotsofradios

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That is great information. I will be in Orlando with the kids, and we were going to see the Gulf near McDill one day. All of your recomendations will be of a great help.

If you are coming down I-95 into Florida and have a mobile antenna you might want to program in the 'SEALORD' frequencies. SEALORD is the callsign of Fleet Area Control & Surveillance Facility (FACSFAC) Jacksonville, FL. They handle all the military traffic doing training along the Atlantic Coast. These are very active frequencies. 5 days a week, all day long with dogfights. Some activity on weekends especially when an aircraft carrier is near. Here is a great reference including maps and detailed info of what FACSFAC does.

Military Comms Fleet Area Control & Surveillance Facility (FACSFAC) Jacksonville, FL

Is is a rare day when you don't hear several dog fights on their frequencies. I would start listening when you're in middle Georgia and down I-95 to Orlando. Guys with outside base antenna in Tampa can hear the SEALORD stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.