Mcdonalds pushes cholesterol and watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know how many watts Mcdonalds drive thru's push??? Reason I ask, in another post I speak to my excitement about adding a new antenna (first) that allowed me to pick up Mickey D's drive thru about 3 miles away..... I am wondering how low power they are. I think I did good, but am not sure... I would like to know so I can asses how well this new thing receives with the antenna. Thanks...
By the way they are having 2 for one quarter pounders today!!!!!!!!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
.5 to 1 watt or so on the business bands. Theres no need for them to be pushing 5 watts about 20 feet away to the drive thru

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Radiation

There's no need for them to be pushing 5 watts about 20 feet away to the drive thru
Yes there is. They need to output more power than all their electronic equipment radiates. Whenever I go through a drive through, it does not matter which company, my scanners pick up so much garbage I have to lock out a lot or at least restrict what I am monitoring. I can't imagine the radiation is good for people who work there all day/night long.

k8tmk

There has never been any absolute proof that RF radiation is hamful to humans. The government came up with the maximum exposure limit (based upon power, frequency, and distance from) by throwing a dart at a dartboard that had numbers on it.

Randy, K8TMK

N

N_Jay

All the "need" to go 20 to 100 feet is about 0.1 watt.

Second, they are probably using no more then 0.25 to 1 watt to keep the battery life up.

The difference between 0.25 and 4 watts is only 12 dB or about 2 S-units.

As for the exposure, don't worry, you get far more from everything else in your life. (and there is very little evidence that it is anything to worry about. (and yes there are some very good studies of people who have had very long term exposure. (Think Radio and TV transmitter engineers.)

KIKINWING

Premium Subscriber
As for the exposure, don't worry, you get far more from everything else in your life. (and there is very little evidence that it is anything to worry about. (and yes there are some very good studies of people who have had very long term exposure. (Think Radio and TV transmitter engineers.)

Thank you, most appreciated.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Hardee's McD's run no more than 1 watt on the drive through to portable, and .05 watts from portable to drive through. When I worked at Hardee'a in Asheville, NC I could get the comms on both sides up to 2 miles clear, and on the box to portables at nearly 5 miles. Was wanting to test just how far off you could actually use the headset/hip pack but manager didnt want to lol. They use a two headset/hip pack set up so manager can monitor all transactions, and step up if server has to go bathroom etc...

DonS

There has never been any absolute proof that RF radiation is hamful to humans.

It's relatively easy to prove it to yourself. All you have to do is defeat the door interlock on your microwave oven, turn it on at "high", and stick part of your body inside.

CompuDoc

Seen a news report that with some cancers they have stuck a probe right into the tumor and gave it radiation killing the tumor. Their was also some guy who made some kind of radiation transmitter that would illuminate a florescent light bulb. He was trying to cure his pancreatic cancer with the doctors knowledge and would fire the thing up standing in between the two devices holding the fluorescent bulb. Generally he would stand their about 2 minutes with the machine on. It did not cure his cancer and he recently passed on.

N

N_Jay

That may be a slightly higher field strength than anything we are discussing.

Next think you know you will be telling us how both Water and Air are toxic.:roll:

DonS

That may be a slightly higher field strength than anything we are discussing.
You're right. However, the post to which I replied made no reference to field strength, distance from transmitter, or any other variables. It only mentioned "RF radiation" - a blanket term that is clearly lacking in qualifiers.

Next think you know you will be telling us how both Water and Air are toxic.:roll:

If someone claims that there's no proof that water is harmful to humans, then yes, I'll point out examples where water certainly is harmful. I wouldn't mention drowning, but I'd definitely point out hyponatremia. I'd be tempted to point out stone-cutting devices based on water, but would probably restrain myself.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
lol come on, stick your hand in a microwave?

There is a truth to both, Yes water and air is toxic/fatal in large amounts and that goes for RF radiation as well

N

N_Jay

You're right. However, the post to which I replied made no reference to field strength, distance from transmitter, or any other variables. It only mentioned "RF radiation" - a blanket term that is clearly lacking in qualifiers.
Yes, but in the context of this thread it is obvious what order of magnitude was being discussed.

So you were either being intentionally obtuse or . . . ?

If someone claims that there's no proof that water is harmful to humans, then yes, I'll point out examples where water certainly is harmful. I wouldn't mention drowning, but I'd definitely point out hyponatremia. I'd be tempted to point out stone-cutting devices based on water, but would probably restrain myself.
While you mention hyponatremia, which could be considered water toxicity, you go on, once again, out of context and refer to other harmful conditions involving water.

Again a demonstration of being contextually challenged. (We seem to have a lot of that around here these days.)

Tweekerbob

Can someone please explain to me how we went from a .5W (just a guess) hip-pack drive-thru workers wear to hypoantremia?

If we want to go into RF exposure and its consequences, shouldn't that be a different thread?

DonS

Again a demonstration of being contextually challenged.

I had no problem understanding the context of the prior discussion. I just loathe generalized statements that are patently false. Had the post to which I replied had any kind of qualifier, such as "as used in communications devices used by the general public", I would not have made my comment. Instead, though, the poster seemed to infer that "RF radiation", in general, is always "safe". Obviously, that's nonsense. I replied to a nonsensical post with a nonsensical (though testable) rebuttal.

Even considering the post to which I replied in the context of the thread, isn't there some finite distance from a 5W (a value that was mentioned above) 2.4GHz transmitter where the effects of that RF radiation would be nearly equivalent to sticking your hand inside (6" away from magnetron?) a 700W 2.45GHz microwave oven? If "yes", then my microwave example isn't too far off base. If "no", why not?

N

N_Jay

I had no problem understanding the context of the prior discussion. I just loathe generalized statements that are patently false. Had the post to which I replied had any kind of qualifier, such as "as used in communications devices used by the general public", I would not have made my comment. Instead, though, the poster seemed to infer that "RF radiation", in general, is always "safe". Obviously, that's nonsense. I replied to a nonsensical post with a nonsensical (though testable) rebuttal.
Yet, you decided to cut off part of his quote which mentions the government exposure limits. That does provide a fair amount of context to make the assertion that context was lacking look like a post event excuse rather then any reasonable justification.

Even considering the post to which I replied in the context of the thread, isn't there some finite distance from a 5W (a value that was mentioned above) 2.4GHz transmitter where the effects of that RF radiation would be nearly equivalent to sticking your hand inside (6" away from magnetron?) a 700W 2.45GHz microwave oven? If "yes", then my microwave example isn't too far off base. If "no", why not?
Do that math, since you have proposed the example.

700 W is about 21 dB greater than 5 W.

So maybe at something under 1/2 an inch you have a chance, but you also have to consider that a the microwave oven focuses all the energy into the cavity, and a radio would be near omni with a gain close to 0 dBi to 0 dBd.

So let's throw another 15 to 20 dB in favor of the oven, and now we would need to stick the antenna up your a. . . and still not do any real cooking.

Sorry Charley, (errrr, Don) your off-topic and out of context posts remain as labeled.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
OK time to tie in rf and water and air being deadly.. Whilst wearing your hip pack you fall in a bucket of water and are electrified, and the smokey toxic fumes cause another to succumb... OK thats my totally bizzarre attempt to make all this work out before this thread is locked for sheer idiocy.

:lol:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Thread Closed

When I first saw this, I thought it should have been sent to the Tavern. As I thought, it is quickly spinning out of control.

Don and N_Jay, come on, both you should know better!

Status
Not open for further replies.