McLennan County RR Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I consider myself very lucky to have made contact with the person who installed and maintained HOTRRS. On occasion, I would receive information regarding new plugs for HOTRRS (Woodway, Lorena, Bellmead, Moody, Hewitt, and Lorena).

I used to monitor Woodway analog conventional. However, one night I sat there on my bicycle with radio in hand, and watched a Woodway PD unit running hot without any radio traffic, I got suspicious. I went home and searched the VHF traffic around me. Then, I heard a CC. With a lot of help from folks, I got this system analyzed & submitted.

After the Woodway system was running "fairly" well, the same thing happened. I could no longer hear Woodway. I expanded my search and found marine band frequencies being used. I may have also reviewed changes in the FCC license, I don't recall.

Later, I learned that Woodway went to Galveston to buy paired marine band frequencies in some sort of auction since one of the VHF frequencies was being problematic.

In other words, I don't believe this system is active.

When I jumped into the FCC call sign, I found this: "Active, KNAT723 to 9/3/23."

I am pretty certain I have observed other discarded FCC licenses still showing "active" in the FCC listings, when the system was no longer being used.

There used to be a Federal Trunking system in Waco that I could not identify. If my memory is correct, this was a P25 UHF system. This system was idle for a very long time, never heard a thing. However, it is not showing up on the RR DB at present.

Since I know that Woodway is very active in my area, it is very easy to spot the units talking in the field. Last night, I heard Woodway on HOTRRS, only.

I loaded the old VHF P25 trunking system into my 436HP last night. As of 1055 hours today, I have not heard a peep.

I would like to know if the person who recently submitted the information for the old WW VHF P25 trunking system monitored the talk groups in question.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

mbarnold12

Premium Subscriber
I consider myself very lucky to have made contact with the person who installed and maintained HOTRRS. On occasion, I would receive information regarding new plugs for HOTRRS (Woodway, Lorena, Bellmead, Moody, Hewitt, and Lorena).

I used to monitor Woodway analog conventional. However, one night I sat there on my bicycle with radio in hand, and watched a Woodway PD unit running hot without any radio traffic, I got suspicious. I went home and searched the VHF traffic around me. Then, I heard a CC. With a lot of help from folks, I got this system analyzed & submitted.

After the Woodway system was running "fairly" well, the same thing happened. I could no longer hear Woodway. I expanded my search and found marine band frequencies being used. I may have also reviewed changes in the FCC license, I don't recall.

Later, I learned that Woodway went to Galveston to buy paired marine band frequencies in some sort of auction since one of the VHF frequencies was being problematic.

In other words, I don't believe this system is active.

When I jumped into the FCC call sign, I found this: "Active, KNAT723 to 9/3/23."

I am pretty certain I have observed other discarded FCC licenses still showing "active" in the FCC listings, when the system was no longer being used.

There used to be a Federal Trunking system in Waco that I could not identify. If my memory is correct, this was a P25 UHF system. This system was idle for a very long time, never heard a thing. However, it is not showing up on the RR DB at present.

Since I know that Woodway is very active in my area, it is very easy to spot the units talking in the field. Last night, I heard Woodway on HOTRRS, only.

I loaded the old VHF P25 trunking system into my 436HP last night. As of 1055 hours today, I have not heard a peep.

I would like to know if the person who recently submitted the information for the old WW VHF P25 trunking system monitored the talk groups in question.

Any help would be appreciated.
As far as I know, none of those agencies use the Woodway system anymore. If the system is still up and running, it very well might be used as a back-up in the event HOTRRS goes down. From the looks of it, and the past info in my scanner, the talk groups submitted are the ones that Hewitt used when on that system. I haven’t been able to get down that way in awhile to verify if it’s still up and running or not, but to my understanding, from my sources, Woodway, Hewitt, and Lorena all 3 are no longer using that system.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I live in Woodway. I can tell you, without a shadow of a doubt, that Woodway public safety is not using this system, at present. I loaded all of the currently-listed system frequencies into my Pro 2042 as conventional, heard zip. I

I also heard nothing when I downloaded the current system frequencies into my 436HP. I guess the premise may be right, they are keeping this as a backup system.

Since I used to hear SWAT and even surveillance on the currently listed marine band system, I don't know what channel the detectives, etc. are using or whether other plugs have been added.

I finally found the FCC auction frequencies they bought at auction.

ULS License - Public Coast Stations, Auctioned License - WQRL358 - WOODWAY, CITY OF

At one point in time, there were two licenses for Woodway. One license was for WFD. The other was for Woodway PD/public safety (cannot recall this was worded). The original system frequencies was a mixture of frequencies from these two licenses.

The following page shows three licenses. I am not diving into this minutiae today. I believe two of these were the two past frequencies. I suppose they used the 3rd license as a combination of the two. I cannot recall.

Woodway Site Details (Woodway)

Onward through the fog.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I found four call signs here:

ULS License - Public Safety Pool, Trunked License - KBJ926 - WOODWAY, CITY OF

There are so many twists and turns for Woodway. I do remember this was complicated due to the crappy job of installation.

I have been lit up by Woodway on two occasions, on a bicycle. I crap you not.

We have a history of encounters:

a) first time involved me being at a local park, where I chill. I heard Woodway key up stating that I looked "out of place." They were referring to the kiddie playground behind the retainer wall I was sitting on, facing the other way from the brats. I called dispatch and gave them a piece of my mind. I started peddling home and two units stopped me. They were very friendly. One asked to see my PSR 500. I showed them my ID from TDCJ-ID. To lend further proof of my hobby, I went to Woodway Dispatch and gave them a copy of my GMRS radio license and a copy of Monitoring Times. I told them to make a folder on me, to no avail. It turns out the dispatch officer was a Ham operator. We had a delightful conversation.

b) WPD stopped me again in my apartment complex at night. He stated my departure from my route, jumping over a curb into an adjacent parking lot was of concern. This is my usual MO. I might add I was holding contraband in my left hand, lol. Like others, he asked about my radio. He asked where I was working. TDCJ was the answer I provided. Then, he invited me to ride along with them (after running background check and what I suspected to being finger and palm printing). He said, "We have a new digital radio system." I simply could not control my narcissistic indulgence. I said, "Yes, I know, key your microphone. The traffic came straight out of my radio into his dropped job;

c) I heard Woodway PD talking about surrounding a house where a suspect was likely located. I was at my resting spot, Whitehall Park. After hearing this, I attempted to go around the block to avoid them seeing me with a scanner. I thought they would believe I was interrupting their activity, like those who follow LE. I made it to Highway 84 & went under the bridge. Then, I heard my description and means of transportation coming over the radio. I knew they had my number. I was waiting when I turned the corner. Sure enough, they hit the disco lights and stopped me. They said, "We were just looking for a suspect. I said, "I know, I have been listening." I did not want them to think my leather-cased scanner was a gun, so I showed them my radio;

d) I was riding on the shoulder of the west bound traffic. I was using a Niterider 750 Lumen front light. They pulled me over and told me to dim my light since it might blind westbound traffic. Again, they were fascinated by my 436HP, front and back very bright lights; and rear-view bicycle cam.

I might add, there are more stories to tell about this PD. We go a ways back.

I found another thread about Woodway: McLennan County RR Page

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.