MCO tower emergency freq explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdeez

This is a very late response to this thread: Orlando Int'l Airport Emergency Tower Frequency

This is actually the "discrete emergency" frequency. More information on that can be found here: Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting Communications

As for what traffic you might hear on it, it would basically all be on the ground and it would be used in the event that an aircraft having a mishap would need to talk to ARFF/Operations personnel directly. At MCO, they will rarely use 133.37, but it has been done. Often if it is available, East Ground (126.4) will be used, Clearance Delivery (134.7) is another option. If it's not too busy, they might just talk on the tower frequency without changing. However, in the event that all ground based frequencies are in use, 133.37 provides an agreed upon frequency that may be used as a "private line" between the aircraft with a problem and supporting airport personnel.

I heard traffic on it within the last several months when a 737 blew a nosegear tire and Operations talked to the airplane while they arraigned for a tug to come out and tow the thing to the gate as they couldn't taxi because it was "too bumpy." Most towered airports I'd imagine have such a frequency available to them, but as they often have several frequencies they combine when traffic levels are low, it's just easy to use one of the combined frequencies that isn't in active use. If you're not close enough to the airport to hear ground transmissions, I wouldn't bother with it but if you live/spend time near the airport keep it in mind because it could be used at any time, though you'd most likely just hear:
"Is my fire flat?" "Yep, it's flat."
"How hot are my brakes?"
"Are we leaking anything?"

I did hear it get used as a tower frequency once and only once when someone was screwing around on one of the main frequencies, But once they went to one tower controller they used one of the published frequencies. Never heard that happen again.

Clear4Code7

The designated "guard" or emergency frequency in the US is 121.5, but you will rarely ever hear anything on this aside from aircraft getting incepted for wandering in no fly zones.

Most aircraft are in communication with a controller throughout their flight, either because they're on an IFR flight plan, getting VFR flight following, or for transiting through controlled airspace. When a emergency pops up, it's more expedient for the aircraft to advise their current controller (if talking to one) since they'll already know the aircraft position and intentions.

superdeez

This is in the rare instance where an a/c already on the ground needs direct communication with emergency/operations vehicles.

The tower controller will assign a freq for direct comms with the aircraft/vehicles.

A reliable source who may have seen the placards with pertinent info on the walls of the ARFF stations thought it would be helpful to have that in the database and it is used so infrequently there was another forum post questioning its validity. My reliable source might also have the occasion to spend about 40 hours per week at the airport in close vicinity to or on the airfield.

Most of what I've heard on guard is guys who lost their assigned frequency.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Most of what is heard on International Air Distress, 121.5, is someone grabbing the wrong mic. (Followed by a chorus of people letting them know they keyed up on "Guard")

spanky15805

The major airports have an assigned frequency for ground(aircraft) to ground(tug driver/ARFF/airport OPS) operations that AT doesn't need to be involved with nor do they want to hear i.e. not in a movement area. It might be displayed on the TED so AT can contact them if they really want to but in this scenario the other radio is probably on ground point 7 or whatever ground might be at that airport.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Most of what is heard on International Air Distress, 121.5, is someone grabbing the wrong mic. (Followed by a chorus of people letting them know they keyed up on "Guard")
The best way to identify 121.5 transmission is a single "meow"

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
July 1 2101 - approx 4 PM EDT - heard via Broadcastify stream of Metro Dade Fire - "Foam 1,2,3 - monitor 121.8" - pretty sure that was for Biden leaving on AF1 from ?Miami International? - (that message came from the Airport Fire Battalion Chief iirc)

At Logan Airport in Boston, the dispatch messages from Logan Fire on 453.90R for Alerts 2 and 3 usually contain a AM freq to monitor - iirc it is often 121.75 - which might be a spare ground freq

Status
Not open for further replies.