• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MCS-2000 Model II

Status
Not open for further replies.

joczr2

I am brand new to radios, I bought a used mcs2000. I power it up and it turns on but nothing is displayed except a little speaker icon in the top left of the lcd screen. It does not make any sound like people talking, the only sounds are turning the control knob on the right. I found a manual and tried to go through and do what it says but when I get to the menu the only options are zone select and tones. Even if I try to select zone select it doesn't do anything. So basically the only button that functions is the one that dims the lcd and the menu but like I said the menu only give you two options when there should be way more. Is the radio broke, Is it programmed in a way such that you cant use it like one would think. I bought it because I had been looking at the radio world for awhile and it sounded interesting. All I'm aiming for with this is to listen but I'm at a loss. I do not have any software or codes that would come with a new one. I think they just ripped it out of a cop car, threw it in a box and shipped it to me. Any help/suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The radio requires programming.

Sounds a lot like it's either been wiped, or was just programmed this way. It is not unheard of to take a radio out of service and remove the programming. Often, it's replaced with something where the purchaser can't accidentally use it and cause interference to other users. I surplussed a bunch of old radios off my radio system and I specifically reprogrammed them with a receive only channel and nothing else. That way someone who purchased one could not accidentally interfere with our system.

The radio will need to be programmed with what you want in it. This is not impossible to do on your own, but it requires some specific software, hardware and knowledge. Since you are new to radios, you probably should get some help doing this.

If you are just looking for a radio to listen to local PD/Fire traffic, you might do better with just a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.