• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MCS2000 CPS Programming for Repeaters (PL/DPL Tones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougTucker

I'm having trouble programming my MCS2000 for repeaters and could use some assistance. I have successfully programmed specific channels with no PL tones, and can transmit and receive clearly. However, when I try programming PL tones, I cannot hit the repeater, and cannot hear traffic from the repeater. I need some assistance navigating the screens in the software.
Here's some background info:
Software & Hardware:
  • MCS2000 Ver. R02.02.00
  • USB cable (MCS2000 FTDI USB Serial Cable)
  • Windows XP, 32 bit
Software Settings for Personality:
1. General: Frequency, DPL, codes per repeater owner
2. RX Options: Standard (I tried different settings with same results)
3. TX Options: 3.4 kHz (I tried different settings with same results)
4. Direct/Talkaround [ ] (un-checked)
5. Signaling (None)
6. Secure (no settings)
7. Phone (None)
8. Smart PTT: Disabled
9. Scan (None)
10. VRM (nothing)
11. Advanced: (nothing selected)

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.
~Doug T. WRFL449

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Are you sure the repeater is transmitting the same tone as the receive? The reason I ask is that one of my repeaters uses DCS on the input and PL on the out. Did the repeater owner specifically say standard on the output of the repeater? What did he mean by standard? Are you sure you have the correct code for the input?

DougTucker

Are you sure the repeater is transmitting the same tone as the receive? The reason I ask is that one of my repeaters uses DCS on the input and PL on the out. Did the repeater owner specifically say standard on the output of the repeater? What did he mean by standard? Are you sure you have the correct code for the input?
KE4FHH, I am programming my radio for several repeaters and have not had success with any of them. One has DCS in and PL out. The others are DPL tones. And a third one is PL, with the same tone in and out. The repeater owner only provided the frequency in, frequency out, PL in, and PL out. All the other settings are Motorola settings that are not specified by the repeater owner. I have programmed Kenwood and other radios successfully using the information provided by the repeater owner. There are settings in Motorola programming that do not exist for other radios, and I believe it’s one of those settings that are blocking me from communicating with the repeater.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
The MCS2000 is a strange bird as far as the channels go. You need to also make sure that you put the channels into a zone (I think that what it's called in this series). You can program the channel info, but if you don't assign it to a zone, you'll be talking on whatever was previously programmed. I assume you are using CPS, but the RSS is even worse.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If you want to post your codeplug and a list of what you're trying to program, I'd be happy to take a look.

DougTucker

If you want to post your codeplug and a list of what you're trying to program, I'd be happy to take a look.
Hi cmjonesinc. Is there a way to private message so I can email the file? Given that some repeaters are private, I would prefer to limit the distribution.
rescue161, I did figure out the personalities, and assigning those to a channel, and placing them into a zone. That was my first success, and I'm able to successfully talk on simplex. The part where I'm hung up is the PL tone programming. There's something (perhaps in another setting) that's blocking or altering the tone success.

DougTucker

I’m following up on this to confirm that after much trial and error I was able to get my Motorola radio working just fine with repeaters. An earlier test indicated that it had very little signal (low wattage). After trying it with different antennas and power sources, it now works successfully. Things that did not work before now suddenly work. Maybe it just needed to wake up a little bit. Thank you all for your guidance while I got these radios working.

Status
Not open for further replies.