• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MCS2000 Model 1 - No Status Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
I have an MCS2000 Model 1, which was previously used in some sort of telemetry system. Got it off eBay, extremely clean radio. :)

I currently have it programmed for an 800mhz trunk system and it's working great (receive only). My only issue is, the status lights don't do anything. They light up (Red/Orange/Green) when the radio powers up, but nothing after that.

Not a biggie, but wondering why they aren't working. Radio setting? CPS programming thing? Just curious.

Thanks,

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I have several of these used in the same application as yours and they do the same thing. I also have had model II and III radios and they do the same thing. The only time the orange receive light comes on is when the radio receives a signal on a conventional channel.

My XTL radios do the same thing, no orange receive light on trunking channels, only on conventional. The red light works on all of them when transmitting. I forget what the green light is for.

RKG

What you report is typical and, while it may seem "odd," it has to do with how the radio works vis-a-vis conventional versus trunked.

A conventional radio uses a "squelch" function which is triggered by inverting the noise from a channel. High noise means no signal; low noise equals good RF signal. The radio converts noise to a voltage, inverts the voltage and uses that both to trigger the audio gate and the Rx light.

Trunked radios handle audio gating as a function of trunking data. The line that controls the Rx light is simply not part of the "circuit."

As for Tx, what happens when you press the key is complex. First, the radio keys up on the control channel and sends a data stream known as the ISW. It then unkeys and looks for a response from the controller on the outbound side of the control channel, known as the OSW. Assuming a channel grant, the radio then switches to the assigned voice channel frequency and transmits a data stream (the "low level handshake"), and then listens on the outbound side of the voice channel for an acknowledgement. If that is received, the radio emits the "talk permit tone" and keys up on the inbound side of the voice channel frequency with mike audio gated to the transmit encoder.

TMI? Perhaps, but I sensed you might be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.