• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MCS2000 Remote Unit Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

a417

My 100 watt MCS would blow 25 amp fuses from time, to time. Finally I put in a 30 amp fuse, & they never blew. And a417 is correct. 100 Watts on hi power, & do not go below 50 Watts on low power. I adjusted the TX power in the CPS, as I did not have tuner.
HKN6110B(and prior A) came with 30A fuzes, IIRC. Why were you downrating it?

N4KVE

HKN6110B(and prior A) came with 30A fuzes, IIRC. Why were you downrating it?
When I bought my radio, it didn’t come with a power cord. I made my own with a built in on/off switch. I had to guess what fuse to use, & it was 25 amps. It’d be good for 6 months, & then blow. Figured I’d try 30 amps, & it never blew.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Do you remember where you adjusted the power in the CPS?
I can't seem to find it.

It's in a separate program, I think it's called something like MCS2000 tuner.

And I'd advise against changing anything unless you have the proper equipment. These radios can start to send out all kinds of spurious emissions when you turn them down too low. It's not as easy as connecting a watt meter and changing values.

a417

It's in a separate program, I think it's called something like MCS2000 tuner.

And I'd advise against changing anything unless you have the proper equipment. These radios can start to send out all kinds of spurious emissions when you turn them down too low. It's not as easy as connecting a watt meter and changing values.

even with the proper equipment you won't likely be able to get the power output settings I think you want..which is more important, the high power or the low power limit? I'd say go for a unit with a "P" or "Q" in the 5th digit, which is 25 - 40/45 watts output and get a little closer to one of your limits, do you really need 75 for your high limit?

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
a417.... I bought the unit with no power cable. I really don't know
why I thought a 15amp would work. Lack of rationale, I guess.
Since I put a 30amp in, I've had no problems.

As for the power, I'm not gonna change anything. I do have the
Tuner Software and, because I have no total understanding of
the softpot settings, I backed right out. I'm just going to leave it
as it is.

I was thinking of using it as a repeater Transmitter, but I can't help
feeling like I'm wasting a good powerful radio for just 1 channel. So
I'll be using it as a powerhouse radio for my Winnebago or as a 2nd
base radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
a417.... I bought the unit with no power cable. I really don't know
why I thought a 15amp would work. Lack of rationale, I guess.
Since I put a 30amp in, I've had no problems.

It's not just the fuse. It's the wiring harness itself. The 100 watt radios had larger gauge wire than the 50 watt radios. Pulling nearly 30 amps through a 14 gauge wire, if that's what it is, isn't a good idea. Just replacing the fuse now has created a possible fire risk. Get the power cable intended for the 100 watt radio.

As for the power, I'm not gonna change anything. I do have the
Tuner Software and, because I have no total understanding of
the softpot settings, I backed right out. I'm just going to leave it
as it is.

If you know someone who has a service monitor, have them do the work for you. Not hard to do if you have the right tools.

I was thinking of using it as a repeater Transmitter, but I can't help
feeling like I'm wasting a good powerful radio for just 1 channel. So
I'll be using it as a powerhouse radio for my Winnebago or as a 2nd
base radio.

Good plan.
As a repeater transmitter, it's not going to be happy. These sorts of radios are intended for public safety use, short bursts of use. Not long winded transmissions like talkative hams. Usually to make a commercial radio like this into an amateur radio transmitter on a repeater, you'd need to bring the power down quite a bit and add a fan to the heat sink.

As a VHF mobile, they are good radios. I thought we'd retired all ours years ago, but just got asked to look at the radio in the chiefs take home car, and sure enough there was one of the old MCS-2000's. They just keep on going.

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
I'm with you McKenna. I did increase the wiring gauge. I had an old
Motorola power cable that was a very heave gauge, so that's what
I'm using. It did NOT have the inline fuse in it, so I added one. I've
decided to use this as a home radio. This way I can add a real nice
fan to keep it cool. For now, I'll leave the power settings as they are.
I'll be putting it on a meter tonight to see exactly what it's doing. I
certainly value your opinions as you have never been wrong on any
of my posts and I appreciate them as well.

Thank you ALL again for your input. I've only been a Moto user now
for about 2 years. Although I've learned a lot, I still have much, much
more to learn. That's why I use the wealth of knowledge here with all
of you and your input.

God bless, stay safe

Status
Not open for further replies.