• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MCS2000 Speaker connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I have a MCS2000 VHF 25W model II. I have a 7.5W speaker model number HSN4031A and have no clue how to connect it. The speaker has the plug as shown. I assume the positive wire is some kind of ignition wire? Every google search just sends me to a PDF of the pinouts or parts numbers, or some unrelated forum thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0355[1].jpg
    IMAG0355[1].jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 6,014
  • IMAG0356[1].jpg
    IMAG0356[1].jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3,902

cmdrwill

Under the cover there should be a 25 pin connector.

1 SPKR+ To ext speaker
3 SPKR- To ext speaker

4 DIGITAL GND Tied to pin 9
9 EMERGENCY

15 IGNITION USE a 2 amp fuse goes to Ignition switch

hkrharry

Member - RR DB AdminMo/Ks
Database Admin
Also , Do Not Ground either Speaker lead to ground or allow them to short together as you will burn out the audio PA chip.

As this is a "Floating Audio Output" speaker system.

I cannot recall the Impedance, but 4 or 8 ohms comes to mind.

hh

1 SPKR+ To ext speaker
3 SPKR- To ext speaker

9 EMERGENCY

jhal94

Premium Subscriber
Also , Do Not Ground either Speaker lead to ground or allow them to short together as you will burn out the audio PA chip.

As this is a "Floating Audio Output" speaker system.

I cannot recall the Impedance, but 4 or 8 ohms comes to mind.

hh

Alright I figured it out, I cut open the little plastic piece and the pins fit right in. However I have to really jam it in to make it work so I might solder the wires into the accessory pins. I have it at a freinds though so I cant take a picture.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
The speaker pins will not work. you need the actual pins for the DB25. Without them you will most likely break the pins on the radio then be SOL. I have used some of them from radio shack but look for the proper ones. Normally there is a female plastic connector with 2 grey wires on it that will plug into the speaker plug.

cmdrwill

The "speaker pins" are Molex male. The two pin Molex connector was on a short cable coming from the DB25 connector.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The pictures were confusing, but seeing your other comments, as well as other posters, it makes more sense what you are asking.

For the Model 2 and 3 radios, that don't have the internal speaker, it's common to have the speaker leads coming out of the 25 pin connector on the radio to a matching Molex type connector on about 6 inches of wire. You'd connect your external speaker there. Looks like someone either cut the leads off, or you got the accessory connector from a Model 1, etc….

Using the proper pins to make the connection on the 25 pin connector is recommended. It might be easy to find something that can jam in there and work, but messing up the connector on the radio end isn't something you want to do. Since they are regular DB25 connectors, you should be able to make this work with parts from Radio Shack, or just find the connector with the speaker leads already installed.

You can purchase pre-made cables from E-bay: Cable 235 Speaker Ignition Motorola MCS2000 HLN6412 | eBay
E-Bay user MRE1032 has been around for a long time and is a trustworthy seller. I've purchased from him before with good results.

yo4tnv

Power-up

Hi there people !

Today i`ve got an Motorola GM1200 UHF in my hands, and the seller told me there is a short needed between two of the DB25 pins, just tu make it power-up. Unfortunately he couldn`t remember which ones, as i started to suspect malfunctions or even dead unit. The good part is that was real cheap unit. Can someone help me indicate if the issue is real and which pins do i have to short ? That transceiver doesn`t have an internal speaker so I need to hookup an external one? I have no ptt-mike either, so can i modify an Midland PTTmike to an ordinary UTP connector to do the job ?

Thank you alot!

Victor
YO4TNV

cmdrwill

Victor,

You probably missed this, so I shall post it again....

1 SPKR+ To ext speaker
3 SPKR - To ext speaker

9 EMERGENCY

yo4tnv

On the other hand, to avoid any damaging confusion, "ignition switch'" will be considered as negative or positive, so I may connect it to +12V or ground ?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
As yo4tnv said it's called the ignition sense wire and it is connected through a 2 amp fuse to a point that follows the ignition switch. That is when the ignition is on it will be +12 volts and when the ignition is off it will be 0 volts or ground. Appropriate programming of the radio is also required to utilize the ignition switch settings.

yo4tnv

sorry for bothering you too much. Well, i connected pin 15 to +12, at the main power connector (12v) too, but the device won`t start. I have no db25 female at hand and therefore no link between 4 and 9 pins... Would that be the issue perhaps? I`m gonna go downtown right now to boy a female db25...

Thanx

Victor

yo4tnv

I started it up 1week ago joining pin 4 and 9 on the db25 back connector. This is the only condition. Pins 1 and 3 went to external speaker.
Now, anyone managed to programm such toy ? Is possible to use a RibLess cable, perhaps to homebrew one? What software to use? Which port? (UTP or DB25)

Here are some docs and tools I gathered... http://peak.biosfarm.ro/~vuk/MotorolaGM1200/MotorolaGM1200docsAndTools.zip

Thank you
Victor YO4TNV

Status
Not open for further replies.