• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MCS2000 Talkaround/Direct Feature.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
I have a MCS2000 Type II Dashmount and I am trying to program the Talkaround/Direct Feature. I think I have tried just about every programming setting configuration known to me and I am unable to activate the Direct feature.

I have set and unset ( Uncheck and check) the box for "Direct Frequency" in the Conventional Configuration, the "Talkaround/Direct" box in the respective Conventional Personality, and added/removed "DIR" in the MENU list, in various configurations.

I am able to pull up the menu list by depressing the MENU button and rotate the channel knob to pull up the menu item and I have depressed the "Sel" button when I have the "Repeat/Direct" on the display and when I press the "Sel" the display returns back to normal.

I can't think of anything else I need to try. Does anyone have any idea how to make this radio to do "Talkaround"? Am I missing something here? Will this radio do talkaround or is this radio somewhat like a CCR and this feature does not exist.

I did researched the archives and was unable to locate any postings on this subject.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
It is possible and sounds like you have it correct. The alternative is to just program the next channel as a talk around and label it as such that is what we do on public safety radios as to make it simple

nokones

Premium Subscriber
It is possible and sounds like you have it correct. The alternative is to just program the next channel as a talk around and label it as such that is what we do on public safety radios as to make it simple
I know that is always an option. The radio is "Trunk Radio" compatible but is only flashed for conventional operation. I thought that since the radio can be a trunk radio maybe the firmware is keeping that feature from being avsilable since there is no talkaround/Direct Feature on a Trunk radio system.

nokones

Premium Subscriber
By any chance, is there the ability for a remote/external PT-T through the accessory connector for this radio (MCS2000 Type II)? I'm not needing to input any audio. I just need to key the radio only momentarily. If so which pin(s) do I need to use. Is it just one pin to ground or are there two pins to complete the function. Any help would be most appreciated.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber

nokones

Premium Subscriber
The mystery is solved on how to select the repeat and direct feature. You can't program a soft key for this feature, at least I haven't been able figure out it out yet if you can or not. What I know now, you have to enable that feature through the "Menu". Here is how to do it.

1. On the channel you want to select this feature, you depress the "Menu" button.
2. Rotate the Channel Selector knob to "Repeat/Direct" until it shows in the display.
3. Depress the "SEL" button to select the Repeat/Direct Feature.
3. Rotate the Channel Selector knob to "Direct Mode" until it shows in the display.
4. Depress the "SEL" button to enable the "Direct Mode". The display should indicate with the direct symbol that is an Arrow on the top row slightly to the left from the center.
5. To return to the "Repeat Mode" depress "Menu" and if the display shows "Repeat/Direct" and if not rotate the channel selector until it does, and depress the "SEL" button.
6. Rotate the channel selector knob to "Repeat Mode" and select "SEL".
7. The Direct symbol should disappear, and you will be back in the "Repeat Mode"

nokones

Premium Subscriber
IIRC, you could set a button to flip between Repeat and Direct.
I went through all the programmable soft key pull-down menus and I was not able to find/identify anything that would allow me to program a key with the repeat/direct feature.

Is there a procedure that will allow me to memorize that feature on a soft key? Will the recall button do something in that regard?

I have tried every possible scenario I can think of to program a soft key for that feature