• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MCX1000 DPL scan problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkpair

I have 2 different MCX1000 radios that I use for scanning only.

They usually, but not always fail to stop on a valid DPL code when scanning.

The CSQ and TPL coded squelch work flawlessly.

The DPL decodes properly and audio is heard when NOT in scan mode.

Due to co-channel users in distant cities, I don't want to change this to a CSQ channel.

Any workaround or option that i'm not aware of ?

RKG

I'm not intimately familiar with the MCX1000, but I suspect I know what your problem may be.

Unlike PL (which is a continuous sine wave at a specific frequency, which can be "entered" for decoding at any point), DPL is a digital stream consisting of the bits representing octal digits 4XXX (where XXX is the DPL code of interest), plus some error correcting bits. In order to correctly decode this bit stream, you have to know where it begins. DPL decodes find the "frame" of a DPL "word" by pattern recognition.

The problem here is that while there are 512 different DPL codes theoretically available, only 83 of them are considered "valid," because the others have bit patterns that can be confused for something else if the radio begins looking at them in the middle of a DPL "word." This usually happens if the radio lands on a channel, decodes valid freq, and then begins looking at DPL bits in mid-stream.

You can find the "valid" DPL codes at the Midian website. I suspect the channel that is giving you problems is using an "invalid" DPL.

LANEWZ

We had a problem decoding DPL 516 on a UHF XTS 3000. Turned out the Vertex 920’s were putting out an insufficient level of DPL. It only caused a problem when the radio would be put into scan.

In addition one of the Fire Watch repeaters also had the same issue and required radio service to go up and increase the DPL level. Problem solved.

This only seems to occur with Motorola radios when scanning.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.