• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD-380 "English Voice Prompt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meestor_X

On the description of this radio, they write "English Voice Prompt" as a feature. I had erroneously thought that this might mean that it has a channel announce feature, but I can't seem to enable it or find anything about it in the manual or CPS.

What exactly do they mean by this "English Voice Prompt" feature?
MD380

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Although I've seen the "Voice Prompt" listed in several vendors description, I think it's a bad translation. There is no way I've seen to have the radio "speak" it's info.

Meestor_X

Thanks for your reply. I imagine that's what it is. Too bad - that's a feature I'd really like. I saw that on a Kenwood once where as you turned the channel dial it would "speak" the channel number.
Do you know if there's a budget analog radio (in the price range of the TYT) that has that feature?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I've never seen voice prompts on ANYTHING I would consider "budget".. Let alone an HT.. But someone may come along and prove me wrong... It's not a feature I use, so it's not in the feature set I shop for.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's in the same category as some vendors calling them "dual band" when what is meant is "dual mode" (digital and analog FM). The menu is available in English and Chinese, but the radio won't read it to you.

Meestor_X

Makes sense. It always amazes me how Chinese manufacturers don't just send their manuals to an english-speaking person; not for translation, but just to proof-read and fix the translation mistakes.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I've never seen voice prompts on ANYTHING I would consider "budget".. Let alone an HT.. But someone may come along and prove me wrong... It's not a feature I use, so it's not in the feature set I shop for.
You've never held the ubiquitous UV-5 and it's many variants then. They will all announce the channel numbers as you scroll up/down the channels, and announce the keys you press when punching in a VFO frequency. :lol:

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
You've never held the ubiquitous UV-5 and it's many variants then. They will all announce the channel numbers as you scroll up/down the channels, and announce the keys you press when punching in a VFO frequency. :lol:
Yep, have one, and as I stated before, it's not a feature I use. Sorry I forgot they had it.. Not like I can remember every feature every radio I own has... I'm too old for that ;-)

Meestor_X

Having channel announce but still needing to look at the radio (find the buttons) to change channels is kinda pointless, IMHO. For me, the whole point of channel announce is when you have the radio on your belt to know what channel you've switched to without looking, which can only be easily done with a rotary channel selector...

So... is there a budget radio out there with this channel announce function like the Baofengs, but an actual channel selector dial on the top?

Meestor_X

On another persons recommendation, I'm going to try out the Retevis RT23 and see what that's like...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.