• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD-380 Programming Challenges

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwelsheimer

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,
I'm kind of new to DMR and the programming frustrations it presents... however, I'm sure that there are many out there that have figured it out. Here's what I know: Received the MD-380 and proceeded to get familiar with it and it's bizarre programming software. Poured through dozens of web sites to educate myself on as much as I could. Yep, still learning. :) The radio is currently sitting at MD380Tools Ver. 2017-01-24 and CP Ver. V.01.30 courtesy of M1GEO. I have been able to bounce its firmware up and down through different levels so that tells me the communication to the radio from my PC is working. And there are no errors in device manager and I see the "STU Device in DFU Mode" so all seems to be well there. My problem is when I try to load a code plug into the radio. All the info looks good in CPS 1.32 including putting in my Call and DMARC identifier. It appears that it is writing to the radio with the slow progress bar moving to the right and the typical Chinese dialogue box that comes up with an "OK" button to press. And when it reboots, the screen shows Channel 1 Zone 1 just like it came out of the box. The code plug was written for the MD-380 so that should rule out the incompatibility issue of using the wrong code plug for a different radio.
I could definitely use some wisdom from the masses
Thanks
Paul

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
First of all ditch the 3rd-party firmware. It's extra complication you should NOT be screwing around with if you can't even load a simple code plug.

Second, check your CPS version. The latest for the 390 is 1.36.

Does your radio have GPS? Is your code plug built for the correct type of radio? GPS radio codeplug is incompatible with non-GPS radios.

pwelsheimer

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Jon for the quick reply. I was under the impression that the CPS version 1.36 was for the MD-390 and not the MD-380 which is what I have.

I see your point about the GPS model - mine is not - so I'll have to check to see if the sample code plug I was loading was built for the GPS model. It was a code plug with Canadian repeaters just to see if it would load in.

Thanks for the suggestions.

pwelsheimer

Premium Subscriber
Is it safe to assume that if I can change firmware to various rev levels that there is nothing wrong with my stock TYT cable?

Robertc1

Not sure if it is the same as my CS750 with the programming but did you put the channel you just programmed into a zone? I know on the CS750 you can add all the frequencies in the CPS but if you don't put them into a zone they will not be on the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Is it safe to assume that if I can change firmware to various rev levels that there is nothing wrong with my stock TYT cable?

Yes.

And +1 on you need to add channels to a zone before you can use them.

arsonlt

Premium Subscriber
MD 380 Finding Digital Frequency

hello,

I work at IndyCar and other races where the safety teams are now using Xper Motorola digital radios to communicate. We are only provided with 1 radio and racing headset by race control, and we would like to have everyone in the truck be able to listen to whats going on.

They are apparently simplex digital frequencies, but even if they bring a portable repeater, we should be able to receive the output...correct?

No one at IndyCar knows the frequencies'..they only know the physical channel numbers.

I have a PYT MD-380 and I plan of flashing the firmware to open up its capability.

Question is on this radio, is it possible to go step by step searching for a specific frequency and have it stop on activity? Then what? Would you be able to hear what is being said, or would we have to play around with channel slots and color codes?

Thanks,

jeff

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Question is on this radio, is it possible to go step by step searching for a specific frequency and have it stop on activity? Then what? Would you be able to hear what is being said, or would we have to play around with channel slots and color codes?

You'll need a scanner like the Uniden BCD436HP with the DMR upgrade to do that. The TYT radios can scan lists of known frequencies, but do not search a range of unknown freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.