• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD-380 Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meestor_X

So I just picked up a pair of TYT MD-380 radios.

ATM I'm only interested in Analog usage, so please don't refer to any digital channel programming.

I have set up 5 analog channels which work properly.

I want Channel 1 to be an "ALL CALL" channel which I created using the scan feature. When any radios are being used on channels 2-5, if someone transmits on channel 1, all radios switch to that channel and receive the call. Took a while to figure out how to do all that, but since it's my first time with these radios, I expected that. The scanning setup is working fine.

Something odd happens however.
When any radio transmits on channel 1, there is no delay AT ALL between when PTT is pressed and the user can speak. That is to say, when on channel 1, the transmitting person can press PTT and speak immediately and no words are cut off.

However, if two radios are on any other channel (channels 2-5) and PTT is pressed, there is a delay before audio is transmitted on the initial PTT press. The squelch on the receiving radio opens immediately when PTT is pressed, but the mic is not "hot" for about 1 second on the initial press of PTT. If PTT is released and quickly pushed again, there is no delay on the 2nd and subsequent transmissions.

Is there a setting in CPS I can change to get rid of the delay between the initial PTT and the receiver receiving audio when a channel has autoscan enabled?

Firmware version is D013.034

Follow up question - are there any detailed explanations for each setting in CPS for a newbie like me?

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
NO. ALL CALL is a digital-only feature. The radio is scanning multiple analog channels and that is why you get the delay. The radio pauses scanning once it receives a transmission, so that is why follow-up calls don't have a delay. If you programmed the channels digital, you wouldn't lose the first second or two of the transmission--the radio is on a single frequency and is simply behaving differently depending on talkgroup ID.

It's totally pointless to get DMR radios and then use them analog only. If you aren't going to use digital, you'd be better off getting some Baofengs.Take the time to learn how to program the digital features, and you won't have these problems.

Meestor_X

Thank you for your reply.
I understand the differences between analog and digital. I've been doing digital with other digital-only radios for many years and may again in certain situations. Please don't make this thread into an analog vs digital debate.

So, again, my question is about the analog mode on the MD-380 and only that. What doesn't make sense is that when a radio is on channel 2 (not part of the scan list) and a call comes in from channel 1 (which is the only channel on the scan list) there is no delay in the audio, but there IS a delay (on the first PTT) when using channel 2.
Additionally, no matter what channel I transmit from, the squelch opens immediately on PTT, but the audio is still muted for a short period on the first PTT.

Does not seem right. It sounds like you may not know why this is or what to do about it, but perhaps someone else has some insight into the analog functioning of this radio?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It is because the radio is scanning multiple frequencies in analog mode (which it doesn't do particularly fast, about 5 channels per second), vs. comparing talkgroup IDs to a programmed list (which it can do in a millisecond or two). After the first transmission, the radio temporarily stops scanning, so reply calls don't have any perceptible delay. But you're never going to get instant squelch open on the first transmission, unless you get lucky and key up just as the radio switches to that frequency in the scanlist.

You're basically trying to use a bananna to pound screws into a concrete block by using analog scanning instead of digital talkgroups for all call. If a properly-functioning all-call function is important to you, you need to use digital--it's the correct tool for the job. Trying to replicate the functionality in analog is always going to be a poorly-functioning kludge with significant limitations.

Meestor_X

But you're never going to get instant squelch open on the first transmission, unless you get lucky and key up just as the radio switches to that frequency in the scanlist.

That's the thing, though, I don't think you're hearing me. I DO get instant squelch open, on the current channel as well as Channel 1.
What I don't get is instant AUDIO on the current channel ONLY.
I'll say it again.
Radio A is on channel 2 and Radio B is on channel 2. Press PTT on Radio A, the squelch opens IMMEDIATELY on Radio B, but the audio is muted for about a second.

Radio A is on channel 1 and Radio B is on channel 2. Press PTT on Radio A, the squelch opens immediately on Radio B AND the audio is not muted at all (no delay with the audio)

If it were a scanning issue, then there should be a delay opening the squelch, which there isn't. Also the audio mute would be delayed on either channel, no JUST the current channel, correct?

You're basically trying to use a bananna to pound screws into a concrete block by using analog scanning instead of digital talkgroups for all call. If a properly-functioning all-call function is important to you, you need to use digital--it's the correct tool for the job. Trying to replicate the functionality in analog is always going to be a poorly-functioning kludge with significant limitations.
I understand. If you don't want to talk about analog, then I respectfully ask you to move on. As I keep saying, I'm not interested how to do this in digital mode, I know full well how it is accomplished using digital.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I understand. If you don't want to talk about analog, then I respectfully ask you to move on. As I keep saying, I'm not interested how to do this in digital mode, I know full well how it is accomplished using digital.

Have fun. In my opinion you are wasting your time. Analog is not designed to do what you're trying to make it do.

Status
Not open for further replies.