• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD-380 Scanning Issue/Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meestor_X

I have 2 brand new TYT MD-380 radios with factory firmware D013.034.

I've done some testing, and there seems to be a problem with the operation of the radio when it's scanning analog channels.

When a radio that is not in scanning mode transmits to another radio, the squelch opens immediately on the receiving radio and the audio is heard immediately. It does not matter whether the receiving radio is scanning or not.

When a radio that IS in scanning mode transmits to another radio, the squelch still opens immediately on the receiving radio BUT the audio is muted for a second or two on the first PTT. If PTT is released and re-keyed quickly after the first PTT, the audio is not muted and is heard immediately. Again, it does not matter if the receiving radio is scanning or not.

Is there any setting in CPS that would change this? Is it a bug? Is there anything in the experimental firmware that might address this?
I've tried tons of different settings in CPS related to scanning, and while many do nothing at all, the ones that do change things do not affect this problem.

To be clear, I am only speaking of analog scanning and that is my only concern.
If someone would like to see the issue for themselves, I'd be happy to post a test CPS file.

N2OAD

Hi Guys, I have a MD380 and still can't figure how Analog scanning works. I have a bank (Zone) with all Analog freqs. The channel receives on manual, but when I scan the zone, nothing stops. Not sure if I'm missing a setting or something. Any ideas??? Tks Joe N2OAD

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Create a scan list (it can be any mix of analog and digital channels), and then select the scan list in the channel settings. That is what will be scanned when you activate scanning on the selected channel.

Meestor_X

I have 4 a pair of UHF and a pair of VHF and have not seen this even while scanning a mix of Analog and DMR in the same scan bank on either pair.

So if you are set to an analog channel and have scanning enabled on that radio, when you press PTT and speak immediately, the audio comes through on the receiving radio immediately with no words cut off?
As you can see in the 2nd video in my list, when scanning is enabled, the first 3-4 numbers are cut off when I press PTT and start counting.

If you are able to have scanning enabled and not have your first words cut off, I very much need to know how you achieved that.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
To clarify how to scan analog channels...

1) Create named analog channel(s) in the Channels Information section of CPS

2) Create named scan list(s) in the Scan List section of CPS

3) Return to Channels Information section and select a scan list. (This must be done for every individual channel that you want scan to be enabled.)

Unlike many analog-only radios, remember that Scan Lists are related to each channel, rather than the Zone only. When channel X is selected, you could be scanning List A. When channel Y is selected, you could be scanning List C. ...and so on.

John

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
36 years of working in the 2way radio industry and 34 years as a fulltime paid firefighter I have never been a person that used talkback scan or keying any radio in scan you end up keying or talking on the wrong channel.

Meestor_X

36 years of working in the 2way radio industry and 34 years as a fulltime paid firefighter I have never been a person that used talkback scan or keying any radio in scan you end up keying or talking on the wrong channel.
I'm not sure if you're talking to me?
If you are, then I understand what you're saying, but my particular application is quite different than the folks that generally frequent this site.
I really don't want to derail this topic, but to let you know, I've had many a discussion regarding something as simple as digital vs analog here, where the digital folks simply cannot comprehend why someone would ever use analog. I work in an industry that most here are unfamiliar with, and in my world, they simply not accept digital. Just one example where my usage is different than most.

Anyway, I'm really hoping that someone out there with more experience than me can possibly figure out if there's any way to fix the issue I'm having, via settings or some other solution, as it's a real problem.

Meestor_X

Still hoping to see if anyone would care to see if they have a solution to this problem, or perhaps they know of another low-cost analog radio that doesn't have this issue?

Meestor_X

And what might that be? You might be surprised what people are familiar with.
Ha ha!
I guess to clarify, it's not that people might not be familiar with the industry, just in the particular usage of radios in this industry. I'm speaking of event communication.
It seems most people here are involved in Ham or Amateur radio, security or emergency/safety, which have usage very different from what is needed for events.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I don't see why event comms would be that "special" radio-wise. It's not that different from security (especially given that security is an imprortant part of managing any decent-sized event) or business comms.

byndhlptom

Scan tx

Could it be as simple as the TXing radio (being in scan) is initially keying up an a different channel than the non scanning radio? If you are close the RXing radio, it may show signal activity for close channels, but no audio.

How do you control what channel is being tx'd on for the scanning radio when you randomly key up? Can you set a default TX channel? Does it TX on last rx'd channel?

$.02

Meestor_X

I don't see why event comms would be that "special" radio-wise. It's not that different from security (especially given that security is an imprortant part of managing any decent-sized event) or business comms.
Beats me, but I've had a few conversations here that end up with people angrily saying that I should be using Digital and "who cares about the latency" and so on, when it's simply a deal breaker in my industry.
Anyway, we digress...

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
The MD380 software has a drop down selection in the SCAN LIST window for 'TX designated channel'. You can select either Last Active, Channel 1, or Selected. Have you tried these?

I scanned the programming software for other obvious items but nothing jumped out as applicable.

John

Meestor_X

Could it be as simple as the TXing radio (being in scan) is initially keying up an a different channel than the non scanning radio? If you are close the RXing radio, it may show signal activity for close channels, but no audio.
Works the same whether the radios are close together or not.

How do you control what channel is being tx'd on for the scanning radio when you randomly key up? Can you set a default TX channel? Does it TX on last rx'd channel?
That's a setting on the radio or via CPS. You can have it always transmit on the same channel or transmit on the last received channel (and revert back to the default channel after a period of no transmission if desired).
I have it set to always transmit on the same channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.