• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

MD-380 Simplex Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustinn

I'm awaiting two MD-380s and I'd like to know how good the range on these is on analog and digital, high and low power communicating between the two radios. I'm in a urban/suburban environment with a moderate amount of buildings. Thanks in advance.

Kb2Jpd

I'm awaiting two MD-380s and I'd like to know how good the range on these is on analog and digital, high and low power communicating between the two radios. I'm in a urban/suburban environment with a moderate amount of buildings. Thanks in advance.

Hi from Adam Kb2Jpd in NYC.

Range is dependent on many factors. If you are going simplex in analogue mode, the same as any UHF handheld. Digital less so.
Use a repeater it will be limited by the range of the repeater (40 to 100 watts).

If you want maximum range, use high power and alarge rattail, not usually shipped with the radio.

I live several miles from most repeaters. The factory supplied antenna simply doesn't cut the grade for me. I have large dead spots in my home. The nice thing with a extra radio is you can hear how you sound thru the repeater and correct how you modulate the radio.

In digital mode, you are in or you are out with some packet loss. My luck with the parrot function on most repeaters is they only show a mirror whenever you are full quieting into the repeater. In digital, it is either your in or you're out.

Hope I was able to address your concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustinn

Hi from Adam Kb2Jpd in NYC.

Range is dependent on many factors. If you are going simplex in analogue mode, the same as any UHF handheld. Digital less so.
Use a repeater it will be limited by the range of the repeater (40 to 100 watts).

If you want maximum range, use high power and alarge rattail, not usually shipped with the radio.

I live several miles from most repeaters. The factory supplied antenna simply doesn't cut the grade for me. I have large dead spots in my home. The nice thing with a extra radio is you can hear how you sound thru the repeater and correct how you modulate the radio.

In digital mode, you are in or you are out with some packet loss. My luck with the parrot function on most repeaters is they only show a mirror whenever you are full quieting into the repeater. In digital, it is either your in or you're out.

Hope I was able to address your concerns.

Thanks, Adam. Do you think it's possible pulling off 3 miles on simplex over digital?

Also, I'm not sure if you have used this radio or not but how reliable would you say the digital is? I have a Zastone 9908 that uses a proprietary voice encoder and I'd say digital transmissions only come across roughly 80% of the time. Could you also say anything about the encryption? How "good" would you describe it's privacy capability so to speak, and would it hinder communication in any way between two radios?

Sorry for all the questions, I am brand new to DMR but things seem to make sense so far.

Kb2Jpd

(null)
You haven't stated where you are from.
The rules are different for US and other countries.

If you are using it for US ham radio, encryption isn't allowed. It's different elsewhere. If you are using it for GMRS or business band, radio must be type accepted. No ham gear on business band.

Otherwise, it is dependent on location height and your terrain.

Word of the wise. Encryption of any radio transmission isn't a guarantee of secure communications. If someone has the right tools, they can snoop in without anyone the wiser.

In short, educate and use discipline in how and what you transmit over the air. Operate as if you have children in close proximity and act professionally.

Best way to hide is in a crowd. Don't stand out.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Thanks, Adam. Do you think it's possible pulling off 3 miles on simplex over digital?

Also, I'm not sure if you have used this radio or not but how reliable would you say the digital is? I have a Zastone 9908 that uses a proprietary voice encoder and I'd say digital transmissions only come across roughly 80% of the time. Could you also say anything about the encryption? How "good" would you describe it's privacy capability so to speak, and would it hinder communication in any way between two radios?

Sorry for all the questions, I am brand new to DMR but things seem to make sense so far.

All else being equal, a decent digital radio will work just as far as analog. I've tested 390s in digital and analog mode, and range is essentially identical. The difference is that analog has a gradual degradation of audio quality with range, while digital generally sounds perfect right up to the point where it quits working.

The encryption is OK. It will defeat scanner users and most nosy neighbors, but it's not going to stop 3-letter government agencies from listening in if they are really interested in you. That may change if the "experimental" firmware ever gets around to implementing full AES encryption.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
As to 3-mile range, if you're in a flat open area with no trees or other obstructions between you and your contact, you can go more than 3 miles. But in a typical urban/suburban context with buildings and trees everywhere, a mile is going to be about it unless one or both of you are in a tall building or on a hilltop.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Distances of 200 miles or more are possible with the right antennas.... and one of the stations is in LEO (Low Earth Orbit) or in an aircraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.