MD State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaptownScan

Premium Subscriber
I've loaded all the MD state police freqs and system via the database and ARC396 s/w.

I have yet to hear a single MD State Police transmission. And I drive the 50 east and west every day.

Do I need to not L/O the public safety band as well?

Anyone have any luck hearing them? Or any ideas whT I'm not doing right?

Thanks,
Steve
396T

troymail

Silent Key
I've loaded all the MD state police freqs and system via the database and ARC396 s/w.

I have yet to hear a single MD State Police transmission. And I drive the 50 east and west every day.

Do I need to not L/O the public safety band as well?

Anyone have any luck hearing them? Or any ideas whT I'm not doing right?

Thanks,
Steve
396T

39.xx Mhz? They don't talk much and you're likely to only hear the base station talking (unless you're real close).

Are you using the stock antenna?

EDIT: I just enabled MSP Glen Burnie (39.04 Mhz) on my PSR500 -- heard a dispatcher pretty much right away...

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This thread belongs in the general forum, not here; but I quite agree with Troy. You need to use a much better antenna than the little duckie, which is virtually useless on 39 Mhz.

There are several mobile antennas linked in our wiki, and even a few reviews. I use an Austin Spectra, which really isn't tuned for 39 mhz, but it works pretty well for a 2 foot multi band dipole (which is what it really is). Some have had limited success on 39mhz with the Larsen 150/400/800 mhz mobile, which is somewhat similar. There are several wide band antennas (25Mhz-1Ghz) out there, some made by Comtelco, which is advertised here on this site from time to time. I'd check these out.

Just be aware that such wide band antennas are something of a compromise - they won't work the same way on all frequencies they claim to cover. But it's way better then having a 6 foot whip in the back (which is what some MSP cruisers still have...)

73 Mike

NaptownScan

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, just noticed I posted in the incident thread and not the general thread.
Perhaps a MOD could move it if needed.

Thanks for the info.

kg4rgn

Premium Subscriber
MSP on low band - VHF

I have great coverage on low band using an MFJ 6M/2M (5/8) with my Kenwood TS 480 SAT. It is not a perfect match, but it does work ( 52 mhz and 39mhz are not that close but it works). Since I live near Frederick MD. I can pick up about 3 MSP base stations on the way to work in Rockville. Setting the CTSS tones helps cut down on interferences.
Happy scanning!

Status
Not open for further replies.